Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
was shocked this didn't happen as the rest of the updates are so minor, that was the only thing that help make the iPad stand out and take advantage of the large screen

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What can happen to something that wasn't there to begin with? Pretty much nothing.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
It was reported within the last week or so that the feature wasn't ready in time.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 16, 2012
Well, vector maps for China, that's quite something if you ask me.

On topic: yes, I'm rather disappointed there as well, I hope that later on we'll get it.
This is the one feature I feel lacking CONSTANTLY.

Glassed Silver:mac

especially when tablet competitors have had this for some time now

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
...as the rest of the updates are so minor

Did you watch a different keynote? This is the biggest suite of updates I've ever seen in iOS. Not only that, but the backend improvements for developers will have huge implications on software and I'm not sure people have fully grasped that yet.

You may or may not believe this, but executives at Google, Samsung, and Microsoft are probably crapping their pants right now.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I'm guessing this will be announced exclusive for the iPad 6 generation. There were rumours it wasn't ready. Who knows though. I believe it will come at some point.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
As batting1000 said, Mark Gurman reported that split screen multitasking (and other features) might end up pushed to iOS 8.1

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
It was reported within the last week or so that the feature wasn't ready in time.

That's analyst code-speak for "my rumor was incorrect".

----------

was shocked this didn't happen as the rest of the updates are so minor, that was the only thing that help make the iPad stand out and take advantage of the large screen

I don't think current iPad hardware has enough RAM for it. In fact, I'm almost sure of this.

If the 2014 model of the iPad has 4 GB, then I think this can happen. It will also require developers to support it, which means we won't see meaningful usage of the feature until Christmas at the earliest.

iPhone7s

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2014

----------

I don't think current iPad hardware has enough RAM for it. In fact, I'm almost sure of this.

If the 2014 model of the iPad has 4 GB, then I think this can happen. It will also require developers to support it, which means we won't see meaningful usage of the feature until Christmas at the earliest.

So the 2014 iPad is going to jump from 1GB to 4GB of RAM? Right.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
So the 2014 iPad is going to jump from 1GB to 4GB of RAM? Right.

It makes sense to me. They hold back and hold back and then release a flood of improvements. Look at what they are doing with the huge jumps in CPU performance. The A7 was 64-bit and no one expected that.

IF they actually are working on split-screen multitasking (which is still a big IF), then I don't think 2 GB is enough to do the trick reliably for the higher end software available now and coming in the near future.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012

----------

4GB of RAM is not needed for dual window, Samsung Note 2 runs dual screen with 2GB of RAM fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.