Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nexesnex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Come on Amazon, this was announced back in early summer. Where is this App for the TV???? Amazon can deliver products in an hour or less, but in 4 years they can't get an App to the Apple TV?? (I know there is more to it than that, but come on!). So annoying. I still use my phone, but the AppleTV App will be a nice edition....

Reactions: Gasu E. and tonyr6

NameUndecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
All I know is that shortly after Apple stated at their presentation that the Amazon app is coming soon, Amazon began carrying the ATV on their site after a years-long period of not, and it seemed like a sign of good will. And then, um, they removed it from their store again.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
There were rumors that it would be available last month, but alas, no. Latest I have seen is by end of year.

Given A'zon is now (announced yesterday) looking to add a free add-supported video plan, I suspect the delay may be tied to a late change of direction in the project.

Amazon balked because they didn't want to pay Apple 30% for every $99 Prime membership if memberships were created in-app. If they only allow in-app rental\purchase of video products, they only have to pay Apple 30% of these add-on sales, but leave the $99 subscription available online only. Or, they could do like iOS where they only allow online rental\purchase and you have to bounce back and forth (not optimal for users, and likely rejected by Apple).

More likely, Apple agreed to a better margin for A'zon to sell ATV in exchange for allowing A'zon to rent\purchase in-app ala-carte content only, and maybe at a better margin than the standard 30%.

With the new free-tier, Amazon may want to allow users to create a "free" Prime account in app which would have been out of scope before the announcement. If this is the case, the ATV app would have a method to either sign in (to an existing Prime Account) or create a Prime Account. The create option would be for the free Prime Video tier only, and if you want to upgrade to add-free, go online and fork out the $99 annual fee. All of this would be significant changes to the approach they were probably taking before this idea was conceived.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
This and the fact that I’ve only had maybe four or five Amazon orders over the past year will put an end to my prime subscription when it comes times to renew in a few weeks.

Reactions: Rudy1

nexesnex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
All I know is that shortly after Apple stated at their presentation that the Amazon app is coming soon, Amazon began carrying the ATV on their site after a years-long period of not, and it seemed like a sign of good will. And then, um, they removed it from their store again.

Oh, wow, I had no idea they had removed it...
[doublepost=1510714056][/doublepost]
What is with all the wailing, crying an gnashing of teeth? Simply install the Prime App on your iPhone or iPad and airPlay it!

I don't think anyone is crying. And gnashing of teeth... well, if I was doing that, I'd have no teeth left as it's been a rumor, and then made official that an App was coming.

As I mentioned in the original post (perhaps not so elegantly) I do use my phone to stream, but it would be really nice not to have to do this.

Reactions: Plett

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
What is with all the wailing, crying an gnashing of teeth? Simply install the Prime App on your iPhone or iPad and airPlay it!
Not all Apple TV users are iPhone or iPad owners, and anyway Airplay streaming may be useful for a short period, but with lower quality and useless/nonsense use of streaming devices (for an entire movie...it doesn't make sense). This said with an absolute peace of mind.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Operates horribly like this. It’s not a suitable alternative. Pause for long, and the app goes bonkers on AirPlay. Also, I like to use my iPad while I’m watching shows sometimes.
[doublepost=1510798361][/doublepost]
12 days a go a reddit user uploaded a picture of the app installed on the Apple Tv:

https://imgur.com/a/ilAK1

The orange circle means it’s in beta. He says he’s currently testing it. I really hope it’s a matter of days until it gets released on the store.

Must be related to this guy:
https://www.reddit.com/user/AmazonVideoEngineer

Reactions: nexesnex

dan980

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2017

fsl2017

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2017
My strong hope for the amazon app is:

It will be released at the same time as tvos 11.2 and with that automatically it will have incorporated the dynamic switching for both frame rate and HDR.

Reactions: dan980

disbthai

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
i'm not sure what the hold up is about but I already have Amazon prime video on the ipad but i prefer it on Apple Tv

dan980

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2017
My strong hope for the amazon app is:

It will be released at the same time as tvos 11.2 and with that automatically it will have incorporated the dynamic switching for both frame rate and HDR.

In that case, I really hope that tvos 11.2 isn’t taking too long.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I now personally don't think this app is ever going to come out. I really want it. I use the Apple TV as my primary streaming device as it is the most reliable. The POS Fire TV boxes and newest POS dongle stutters all the time. Hulu is the worst but Netflix and even Amazon video stutters. Also they shove ads everywhere on a player you pay for.

Roku does not stutter playing video but is it quite slow to navigate and also shows ads but not as bad. Also Amazon video app on the Roku is horrible. Really slow and the stream will quite often drop down to SD and no it is not my connection. On the FTV the quality does not drop quality.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
I compared watching the movie Out of Time on my OLED TV via the built-in Amazon app vs watching it on my OLED TV via AirPlay streaming from my iPad Amazon app using Apple TV 4K.

First of all, each method was quick and fast to load and was smooth. When I watched it via the built-in Amazon app on the TV it streamed in HDR and the picture was beautiful. However, when I streamed via AirPlay using the Amazon app on my iPad it streamed in stunning Dolby Vision and looked noticeably better. While it streamed via AirPlay, I tapped the home button on the iPad and the app remained open but not seen on the iPad. I was able surf the Internet on the iPad while the movie continued to stream via AirPlay. I also was able use apps such as Pages and CNN while the movie continued showing on the OLED TV.

Last edited:

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I compared watching the movie Out of Time on my OLED TV via the built-in Amazon app vs watching it on my OLED TV via AirPlay streaming from my iPad Amazon app using Apple TV 4K.

First of all, each method was quick and fast to load and was smooth. When I watched it via the built-in Amazon app on the TV it streamed in HDR and the picture was beautiful. However, when I streamed via AirPlay using the Amazon app on my iPad it streamed in stunning Dolby Vision and looked noticeably better. While it streamed via AirPlay, I tapped the home button on the iPad and the app remained open but not seen on the iPad. I was able surf the Internet on the iPad while the movie continued to stream via AirPlay. I also was able use apps such as Pages and CNN while the movie continued showing on the OLED TV.
When I pause a movie or show on the Amazon iPad app for too long, it craps out the whole AirPlay deal to Apple TV.

It’s not at all the same as having an app on the TV.

Reactions: tonyr6

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I now personally don't think this app is ever going to come out. I really want it. I use the Apple TV as my primary streaming device as it is the most reliable. The POS Fire TV boxes and newest POS dongle stutters all the time. Hulu is the worst but Netflix and even Amazon video stutters. Also they shove ads everywhere on a player you pay for.

Roku does not stutter playing video but is it quite slow to navigate and also shows ads but not as bad. Also Amazon video app on the Roku is horrible. Really slow and the stream will quite often drop down to SD and no it is not my connection. On the FTV the quality does not drop quality.
I have the Roku 3 and just got the Ultra but waiting for the 4K hdmi cable to come. It about the same speed as the 3 in HD mode. No bugs with my Roku and Roku is as fast or faster in loading itself at the start of the previous ATV3. I am going to get the AT4 when Prime is release! .Yeahs it maybe a long time or never if Amazon and Apple start feuding again. LOL!

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2009
When I pause a movie or show on the Amazon iPad app for too long, it craps out the whole AirPlay deal to Apple TV.

It’s not at all the same as having an app on the TV.

Mine does not do this. To be sure I just tested. When I pause, it simply pauses on TV.

I’ve watched 2 movies in secession and absolutely no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.