Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like the OS11 changes to Notes utility?

• Nope not at all.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Its ok i guess.

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • A non-issue for me!

Votes: 26 70.3%

• Total voters

Gbmacbookpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
I use the Notes utility regularly and have recently been forced by Apple to update to OS11. The new version of this tool is all but useless as several of the features (like forward/backward keys & basic punctuation marks in the ‘turned’ menu) have now gone. The whole utility has a different feel that is not intuitive. And why have keyboad locations of various keys been moved? Who does Apple think they are to make changes to ‘key’ locations that have been used across the world for years. (‘@‘ symbol is just one case in point) Had a gut full of their arrogance.

If anyone can tell me what I’m doing wrong, then that would be appreciated or alternatively, what better utility is out there that hasn’t (and won’t) be changed by the Apple mind-controllers!!! Personally, Im sick of being rail-roaded by a corp giant that likes to play with the little peoples heads!

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
You were not forced! Lol

Did Apple come to your house and threaten you?!

Yes it does look different but I found it much better than before.

I’ve started using simple note as they have a windows app a well.

Reactions: Starship67

wa2be

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
I used to use Evernote when i was on iOS 10. When iOS 11 came out I found that I like the new version of Notes way better and have switched over to using it exclusively. It works great, it's well-organized and easy to use, the document scanning feature is amazing and comes in very handy at work. Guess it's not for everyone though. Check out Evernote, plus there's like dozens of other note taking apps out there. Hopefully you can find something that works for you!

Reactions: fivenotrump

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
The new version of this tool is all but useless as several of the features (like forward/backward keys & basic punctuation marks in the ‘turned’ menu) have now gone

What, other than nothing, does this have to do with the Notes app? Apple changed the system keyboard. Deal with it, or install one of the umpteen 3rd-party keyboards that has the layout you like. Some people like GBoard, I understand.

digitalexplr

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2016
Central Missouri
I use the Notes utility regularly and have recently been forced by Apple to update to OS11. The new version of this tool is all but useless as several of the features (like forward/backward keys & basic punctuation marks in the ‘turned’ menu) have now gone. The whole utility has a different feel that is not intuitive. And why have keyboad locations of various keys been moved? Who does Apple think they are to make changes to ‘key’ locations that have been used across the world for years. (‘@‘ symbol is just one case in point) Had a gut full of their arrogance.

If anyone can tell me what I’m doing wrong, then that would be appreciated or alternatively, what better utility is out there that hasn’t (and won’t) be changed by the Apple mind-controllers!!! Personally, Im sick of being rail-roaded by a corp giant that likes to play with the little peoples heads!

Perhaps you should change to another phone system.

Reactions: NoBoMac

Gbmacbookpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
What, other than nothing, does this have to do with the Notes app? Apple changed the system keyboard. Deal with it, or install one of the umpteen 3rd-party keyboards that has the layout you like. Some people like GBoard, I understand.

Thanks for your comment. For band/muso work, I use a filing program called 'File Manager' and it was easy for me to write out songs using the Apple OS Notes keyboard layout as I was using the "," key to mark beats. This was easy as it showed up on the same screen as the qwerty keys. Now it doesn't, as of this latest update and makes it all but impossible to do what I need to do using the Apple OS notes app. For me it was major inconvenience. I can spend 3-4 hours in week doing this and now it takes up tp 6 hrs. I really cant see any benefit in removing the various function keys that were on this screen. Id love to know what the advantages are from somebody else who uses the utility prog. It was a biggy for me with no obvious benefit at all, thats all! cheers.

Gbmacbookpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
I use the notes app daily. I’m not even sure what your talking about.
To use the screen space better and use the 'functions' I'd turn the phone on its side which gave a few added punctuation keys that were only available on the "123" screen otherwise. In my case the comma key & spacebar were frequently used and these are now not available on that screen making the scoring process much slower and more cumbersome. cheers

Gbmacbookpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2018
I understand what you mean. Consider creating a "Text Replacement" in Settings>General>Keyboard>Text Replacement that will change something easy like "qq" to a comma.
Hey Brian. Thats a great idea. Never thought of using the feature that way. Cant use ‘bb’ as that would get confused with ‘Bb’ but i’ll come up with something. Appreciate your help. Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.