Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
So, unless I missed something, I’m no longer seeing if a post I reported was taken care of. There used to be when I report a post, after a while, I would get a notification that the mods reviewed it and took suitable action. Right now, I’m not getting that. Do I have to be the first one reporting it, or did I miss something?

Not a big deal, but it was a nice touch.

Thanks

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Usually the staff gets back to you.

But as I've learned from these forums, depending on the time it was reported, how many are on duty, the workload at a particular point in time and how much discussion something takes etc.. the time is variable when you may receive a response...hours to a day or two.

Reactions: MmkLucario

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
Usually the staff gets back to you.

But as I've learned from these forums, depending on the time it was reported, how many are on duty, the workload at a particular point in time and how much discussion something takes etc.. the time is variable when you may receive a response...hours to a day or two.
I have seen posts that I reported disappear the next day. Dunno if this is an oversight by somebody.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
It's a quirk of our moderation system that some posts reported as spam will not issue a notice to the member who reported it.

This is just how the XenForo system works. It has nothing to do with who's on duty, number of times it was reported, etc.

The default for typical reports is to send a notice, and we'd have to disable it to omit the notice. Our spam-banning mechanism, however, defaults to the opposite, and the moderators have no way to have it send a notice.

MmkLucario

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2022
It's a quirk of our moderation system that some posts reported as spam will not issue a notice to the member who reported it.

This is just how the XenForo system works. It has nothing to do with who's on duty, number of times it was reported, etc.

The default for typical reports is to send a notice, and we'd have to disable it to omit the notice. Our spam-banning mechanism, however, defaults to the opposite, and the moderators have no way to have it send a notice.
Hmmmmm. Very interesting. Thank you for the information. You are right, that is very quirky.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Very quirky.

And thank you, @chown33, for the explanation.

Actually, I hadn't realised that it is this quirky, as, (almost always), whenever I have reported a post (including a great many spam posts), I have received a response from the staff.

StarbucksCoffee

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
The Netherlands
Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 17.26.33.png

Very quirky.

And thank you, @chown33, for the explanation.

Actually, I hadn't realised that it is this quirky, as, (almost always), whenever I have reported a post (including a great many spam posts), I have received a response from the staff.
Hmmmmm. Very interesting. Thank you for the information. You are right, that is very quirky.
In the image above you will see how the XenForo system works.
When someone reports something, a moderator receives an alert in the report center and has the above actions. By entering some text into the "send resolution alert", the reporter will receive an alert with the text that was entered in that field.

You can also assign the report to another moderator.

Reactions: MmkLucario

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
View attachment 2173154

In the image above you will see how the XenForo system works.
When someone reports something, a moderator receives an alert in the report center and has the above actions. By entering some text into the "send resolution alert", the reporter will receive an alert with the text that was entered in that field.

You can also assign the report to another moderator.

That is how the Xenforo system works (and thank you for sharing this image).

However, it is not necessarily how a platform or site may have decided to map the lines of power, and how they may have decided where power lies, in other words, how they have decided or determined who can do what.

Sometimes, moderators may have the autonomy to take action (within whatever rules govern the site in question), re certain reports, but, at other times, they themsleves may have to report further up the hierarchy before a decision cre what action is to be taken an be arrived at or implemented.

Reactions: StarbucksCoffee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.