Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cboog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I remember Steve mentioning three distribution models. The first being the AppStore, the second being Enterprise level for internal applications, and the third being a student model that allowed students to distribute apps that they had developed themselves in class to 100 people. I haven't found any evidence of these additional models on ADC or elsewhere. Has anyone else heard anything about them?

I really want to develop my own apps, but I'm not going to pay $99 just so I can play around on my own iPhone. I think everyone will agree that we should be able to install our own apps on our own iPhones. Anyone have any information for us on this?

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
You are thinking of what is called the Ad Hoc distribution method, which is available only to paid developers along with the other methods.

cboog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
You are thinking of what is called the Ad Hoc distribution method, which is available only to paid developers along with the other methods.

So you're telling us that educational institutions are still going to have to pay $99 to start a class developing on the iPhone? And then the instructor will distribute his certificate to all the students of the class? In the keynote they most definitely used the professor/student example for the purpose behind the AdHoc model.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
So you're telling us that educational institutions are still going to have to pay $99 to start a class developing on the iPhone? And then the instructor will distribute his certificate to all the students of the class? In the keynote they most definitely used the professor/student example for the purpose behind the AdHoc model.

The point of Ad Hoc is not for iPhone development classes. That could be done for free using the SDK/Simulator. Ad Hoc is (for example) for a professor/department/whatever who creates an app that they can distribute to 100 people in a class to use as a course aid. It does not allow for those people to develop anything on a device.

cboog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
The point of Ad Hoc is not for iPhone development classes. That could be done for free using the SDK/Simulator. Ad Hoc is (for example) for a professor/department/whatever who creates an app that they can distribute to 100 people in a class to use as a course aid. It does not allow for those people to develop anything on a device.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess the keynote gave me the wrong impression. It's really a shame there isn't some kind of student or educational program for aspiring developers for free that allow them to use their devices. The simulator has some major limitations without the hardware, like using the camera, location services, accelerometers, networking with other devices, multi-touch, etc... I'm not able to develop on the technologies that make the iPhone so great.

gralem

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2002
ad hoc not yet available

Still, ad hoc mode is not yet available to developers at this time. Further information will be forthcoming, but you can't do anything with it now. You get 5 devices on which to install apps.

---gralem

slycrel

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Still, ad hoc mode is not yet available to developers at this time. Further information will be forthcoming, but you can't do anything with it now. You get 5 devices on which to install apps.

---gralem

Actually they have now changed that as of yesterday -- in the beta I only had 5 devices available to add to my account, I now have 100. There are instructions on how to create ad hoc builds as well as how others can install them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.