Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
Home
I came across articles from roughly 1 year ago about TP-Link bringing HomeKit to their Tapo line including a dimmer (Tapo S500D). However, from what I can see on the product page, it states only support for Alexa and Google Home. Just curious on what happened.

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
Home
I know there's supposed to be a Matter version released sometime in this coming March, but I was hoping to currently replace my Meross switches which have not been too reliable. I have a couple TP-Link Kasa plugs that have been pretty solid so I was looking into that brand.

I hear good things about the Lutron Caseta, but I'm not a fan of the switch buttons.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I know this doesn’t answer your question directly regarding TP-Link but this is not uncommon. Many brands have announced support for HomeKit in the past and never followed through. Ring, SimpliSafe and ADT Blue are just a few examples. At this point, the brands are probably just going to go all in on Matter since it widens their prospective customer base.

I have a bunch of Lutron Switches and I’m in agreement with you. Finding those little triangular dimmer buttons in the dark is tough and it’s not a switch you can hit on the way out of room. Takes some concentration lol. I’ve had a few fail to fire with automations but they’re pretty reliable for the most part.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Lutron updated their switches recently

Note the new "paddle" styles at the top of the above page. Lutron Caseta in general isn't inexpensive, but the reliability is excellent. I don't have any of the new switches and I agree the original dimmers and fan controls are not easy to use in the dark. Turning a ceiling fan on to 25% in a dark bedroom is definitely hit and miss for me.

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
Home
I know this doesn’t answer your question directly regarding TP-Link but this is not uncommon. Many brands have announced support for HomeKit in the past and never followed through. Ring, SimpliSafe and ADT Blue are just a few examples. At this point, the brands are probably just going to go all in on Matter since it widens their prospective customer base.

I have a bunch of Lutron Switches and I’m in agreement with you. Finding those little triangular dimmer buttons in the dark is tough and it’s not a switch you can hit on the way out of room. Takes some concentration lol. I’ve had a few fail to fire with automations but they’re pretty reliable for the most part.

Yeah, I guess I can see that. I wasn't sure if they announced that they've decided to drop HomeKit support or not (I think some other companies have done so). I guess with Matter coming out, it won't really matter.

Lutron updated their switches recently

Note the new "paddle" styles at the top of the above page. Lutron Caseta in general isn't inexpensive, but the reliability is excellent. I don't have any of the new switches and I agree the original dimmers and fan controls are not easy to use in the dark. Turning a ceiling fan on to 25% in a dark bedroom is definitely hit and miss for me.

I saw the Diva one and it looks promising. I wonder how the dimmer function works. Is it just set to where the slider is or are you able to control it remotely? Can't seem to find that info online anywhere.

I've got the non-smart dimmer switches currently from Lutron, the Maestro line. I really like those (one big button to turn on/off, double tap to 100%, tap and hold to delay off) and always wished Lutron would release a smart switch with this design.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I saw the Diva one and it looks promising. I wonder how the dimmer function works. Is it just set to where the slider is or are you able to control it remotely? Can't seem to find that info online anywhere.

Initial reviews indicate that remote control is normal in that you can set the dimmer level. But because the slider on the switch is a physical control, it doesn't move when you set the level via automation or app - meaning the slider could be at 100% and the actual level could be 25%. I imagine if you adjust with the slider in that scenario, it might pop to 100% for a moment as it reacts to the physical input.

Not sure why they didn't consider a "tap" vs "hold" on the toggle and allow dimmer adjustment that way instead and eliminate the slider. Maybe some other company out there holds a patent on that. You can patent the silliest things sometimes.

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
Home
Not sure why they didn't consider a "tap" vs "hold" on the toggle and allow dimmer adjustment that way instead and eliminate the slider. Maybe some other company out there holds a patent on that. You can patent the silliest things sometimes.
Same. The Maestro line that I use have two buttons for increase/decrease dimness and not a physical slider. Would've made more sense for a smart dimmer switch.

FaasNat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2002
Home
Just discovered this. There is already a Kasa HomeKit dimmer switch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BMWCZWS5/

I wonder when this came out (there's also a non-dimmer version as well). I've only seen these Kasa switches supporting Alexa, Google, and SmartThings. Not I just need to keep checking their three-way dimmer version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.