Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Webcat86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Once upon a time, changing a wallpaper on the home or Lock Screen was easy. What happened? I wanted to change my Lock Screen wallpaper tonight, and the iPad insisted that my Home Screen mirror it. I didn’t want that, but tough, apparently.

I then edited my Home Screen wallpaper in isolation, and intended on doing the same for the Lock Screen — but because I’ve chosen an Apple background (solar system) there appears to be no way to just change it to a photo.

Oh, and changing the background apparently means you need to set your widgets all over again too.

Honestly, WTF? I feel like it can’t possibly be this convoluted and confusing, and it must be me. But I also feel like I can’t possibly be this blind to not be able to see the regular options.

Am I missing something?

Webcat86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2022
Assuming I have read your post correctly, sadly you aren’t missing something. Some dick at Apple thought that the new implementation for wallpaper customisation was a good idea. It really isn’t. It’s garbage.
So it’s not just me then. I’m flabbergasted by it. And especially so considering I don’t recall there being anything wrong with how it used to be. This new version is overly complicated and overly restrictive while solving no problems.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
You have summed it up perfectly there. With this new implementation, it has actually regressed in features and customisation.

I am becoming more flabbergasted and frustrated by Apple’s decisions these days. It’s almost like they don’t use their own software.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Once upon a time, changing a wallpaper on the home or Lock Screen was easy. What happened? I wanted to change my Lock Screen wallpaper tonight, and the iPad insisted that my Home Screen mirror it. I didn’t want that, but tough, apparently.
Set the wallpaper in Settings > Wallpaper and select Photo instead of Pair.
I then edited my Home Screen wallpaper in isolation, and intended on doing the same for the Lock Screen — but because I’ve chosen an Apple background (solar system) there appears to be no way to just change it to a photo.

Oh, and changing the background apparently means you need to set your widgets all over again too.
You can change the wallpaper in an existing layout, but you have to go to Settings > Wallpaper > Customize instead of starting at the photo.
Honestly, WTF? I feel like it can’t possibly be this convoluted and confusing, and it must be me. But I also feel like I can’t possibly be this blind to not be able to see the regular options.

Am I missing something?
I agree that it is overly complicated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.