Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2009
I used to fold with Macrumors a few years ago, as I remember it we had a pretty powerful team, seems now things are waning, and this board has cooled off. I suppose I'm guilty of leaving as well (jumped ship for Penny Arcade, great comic BTW), am I just glossing over old memories or have things actually slowed down?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I used to fold with Macrumors a few years ago, as I remember it we had a pretty powerful team, seems now things are waning, and this board has cooled off. I suppose I'm guilty of leaving as well (jumped ship for Penny Arcade, great comic BTW), am I just glossing over old memories or have things actually slowed down?

well, i really can't say since i haven't been folding for that long. but i have noticed a lot of teams pass us while i've been on the team.

i really think the ones that do still fold need to try and get more involved on this forum to get more people to join and stuff.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
We should try to pump up the team with these new bigadv units.
This team slowed down huge when the GPU client came out, which is Windows only.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
We should try to pump up the team with these new bigadv units.
This team slowed down huge when the GPU client came out, which is Windows only.

we do need to pump up the team, and get more involved on this forum.

yes the GPU client is windows only, but i've heard that you can run a GPU client in linux. and i don't mean in wine either. but i've heard it's very tricky to get working

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
anyone with a newer mac pro or xserve can kill in the stats. should be a nice incentive. i am excited about mac folding for the first time in a while

Tower-Union

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 6, 2009
18k PPD is pretty impressive. . . . if you run it in windows you could use the vid card too, probably pull close to 25k. I would love to see Pande Group put out a GPU client for mac OS X.... I'm getting sick of running windows 90% of the time on my Mac Pro.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
With these new big units no more need for GPU...

What would be nice is to run OS X and the big units, the GPU with WINE with a couple of fast Nvidia cards...

We just need one of the smart guys here to do a step by step for us...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
A good guess is 41 min per frame, 18k PPD, about the same as the old 2007 3Ghz...

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=11314&start=0

has all sort of speed tests.

see that's not all that impressive to me. you would think 8 real cores, or 16 cores with HT, would beat 4 real cores or 8 with HT. i mean i could buy 3 machines like my i7 for the same price as an octo mac pro 2.26. i'd rather have the mac pro, but i just can't justify it right now. maybe when the i9 comes out

18k PPD is pretty impressive. . . . if you run it in windows you could use the vid card too, probably pull close to 25k. I would love to see Pande Group put out a GPU client for mac OS X.... I'm getting sick of running windows 90% of the time on my Mac Pro.

yeah but you can't run the bigadv units in windows, and i can't get them to run in a VM either.

With these new big units no more need for GPU...

What would be nice is to run OS X and the big units, the GPU with WINE with a couple of fast Nvidia cards...

We just need one of the smart guys here to do a step by step for us...

yeah we do. i'm not one of those smart guys, and i'm too lazy to try and look up how to get GPU working in linux. i know you can do it though

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I'll bring my systems back online 24/7. I kinda got tires of the locked up core on my macs so I fold only on my pc laptop during the day.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I recently rejoined. I haven't folded for a very long time but my mac pro is folding again during the days. We need to get this team going again. :D

meeble

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2003
folding again

well, i am going back online after a long hiatus.

let's see what kind of numbers I can pull. :p

meeble

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
wow meeble and trainguy! long time no see guys

welcome back

Thanks. I am back into the top 20 producers. But I thought I was higher up the list when I used to fold. Mind you this Mac Pro isn't getting any faster.... :rolleyes:

I am under macman64 for those of you who were checking. :)

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
yeah not worth it. on a 8 core 3GHz each step takes ~45 mins

45*100=4500
/60=75
/24=3.13 days

preferred is 4 days and a final deadline of 6. even if u ran a 4 core 24/7 i don't think it would complete it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.