Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
NB: I'm not wanting to get into details of who, which, where etc. of the tread in question.

So I made a comment on a thread started by someone else (who I believe has been since banned) that got quite a few of likes (more-so than usual for me). Evidently the mods here eventually took great umbrage at the OP's thread (or their account in general) and some point in the last 24 hours the thread was reaped and cast off into the dead zone (presumably moved into a forum only the mods have access to).

My question is however: what about those hard earned Likes? I think the count is still the same but I can't tell. At the end of the day it's not a major thing and, like I say, I care not for any specifics of why the tread got cast off (that's a discussion for the mods and them alone). I'm just interested in knowing what the policy etc. is on any Likes received by users on a thread that subsequently vanishes.

As I say, I'm not wanting a discussion of the thread in question, the OP, or if it should or shouldn't have been reaped, I'm simply asking a technical question is all.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2017
If your post is deleted, the likes go with it. Respond to a deleted thread and your posts/likes are deleted with them. No historical numbers, it’s real time.

If the thread was deleted, I could see that, but back when I was a mod for a totally different site, threads were never deleted, they were moved into a forum accessible only to the mods.

Not saying you're wrong - far from it, just that I'd like to have a mod step in and answer because only they can do so with any authority - anything else is just well meant speculation.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Most of the time threads get soft deleted or sent to Wasteland. If deleted, then post count and likes are deleted. If sent to Wasteland, post count is removed because that forum is not counted towards totals. I would think likes might remain, but I'm not sure with Xenforo.

It is extremely rare that the staff here actually move a thread into a mod/admin forum. So if a thread disappears and isn't in wasteland, you can put your money on it being deleted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.