Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SW3029

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
What happens to Hide My Email emails if you cancel iCloud+? Do you lose access to the ones you've set up or can emails still be sent to them?

Reactions: southnorth

southnorth

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2018
I’m interested in this as well, more from the point of view say if your payment method failed or some other issue which prevented payment from going through.

I’d hope the HMEs are retained, at least for a period of time.

Reactions: JonnyBlaze

Cybbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Hide my email is available for free accounts when using Sign in with Apple. I doubt the ones created via iCloud+ stop working if you no longer subscribe, but haven’t tested this myself.

SW3029

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2019
Update: So I let my iCloud+ account expire.

When this happens you lose access to managing ALL your Hide My Email emails. Yet you can't even see what the Hide My Email addresses are any longer.

But, people can still send emails to those emails. However, you apparently cannot reply to the emails with the Hide My Email address.

This is troubling...

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
Thanks for testing that. So if someone plans to let iCloud+ expire, it would be wise to screenshot the hide my email list so that you can know what to update. I expected to not be able to send/reply to HME, but I hoped incoming would be OK (☑️) and there would still be a list to verify which addresses were in use (❌).

Reactions: southnorth

southnorth

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2018
Thanks as well for testing. It would interesting to see if there is a grace period before email addresses are deleted (if they actually do, we don’t really know at this point). A bit like a deleted photo is permanently deleted after 40 days.

I did complete a feedback form to Apple raising the question in this thread but it’s highly unlikely to receive a response. It should be a simple job to update the iCloud+ support pages.

for_i_1

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2022
One point is that you can always find out the Hide My Email address from the emails you receive to that address, just look at address to which they are addressed.

Also wondering if anyone had more info/updates on this? There seems to be nothing official written in Apple support docs.

gr4v1ty

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
Since this is the first result that pops on Google, has anybody confirmed what is happening once you stop paying?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.