Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Do you lose all the modifications you just made to your phone and all the programs?

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Yes. You get to start all over, which is why it's a good idea to make backups of your modifications.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Well ... if you put ringtones on your iPhone, make sure you still have those files on your computer. If you put custom icons on, make sure you still have those files on your computer.

Really quite simple. :)

Play4keeps

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2006
I see i was thinking that their was a backup app that ppl were using to do this thanks for clearing that up this.

Lionheart

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Tampa, FL
Another few irritations to remember...you have to restore your phone, which means setting up all your email accounts, network settings, preferences you may have changed, etc.

BUT....it's ALL WORTH IT!!

However...is the anything in this update that one would want if one doesn't care for musical ringtones?

I'm hanging with what I have unless somebody identifies some other new feature....

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
Well ... if you put ringtones on your iPhone, make sure you still have those files on your computer. If you put custom icons on, make sure you still have those files on your computer.

Really quite simple. :)

true... and i believe itunes backs up who has what custom ringtone so as long as they are named the same when you put them back on, those will continue to work correctly.

but... what about other things? like apps... custom graphics... and other things like that? it would stink to have to go back through and re-customize all the stuff i've changed after upgrading.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
true... and i believe itunes backs up who has what custom ringtone so as long as they are named the same when you put them back on, those will continue to work correctly.

but... what about other things? like apps... custom graphics... and other things like that? it would stink to have to go back through and re-customize all the stuff i've changed after upgrading.

you have to start over...but once you have to do it a few times and know how to do it, its not that bad. Takes way longer for me to resync my music than to put all the mods I did back on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.