Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
Had a question about iTunes Match that I can't seem to find an answer to. There are a few threads that discuss the matter, but none with definitive answers.

From what I understand, iTunes will match your library and allow you to replace any tracks with the "updated" match versions.

My question is, when I decide to stop paying for iTunes match, what happens to those "matched" songs in my library. I gather that if you have replaced the tracks in your library with "matched" tracks, that the "matched" tracks will remain on your device. Is this accurate?

Assuming it is, do those tracks count as music purchased from iTunes or not? Will they still be available to download from iCloud or not? Music bought from iTunes is free to store in iCloud, while other music requires a subscription to iTunes Match. That's why I'm wondering, once a song is matched is it considered purchased or is it still a "ripped" file just at the higher bit rate?

Thanks!

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
I was in the beta and just shut mine down and got a refund. Music Match is now off on my home Mac and all of my iDevices. My music is still there and working.
thanks, but that's not really my question. I know they don't delete your library and that it's still in tact.

What I'm asking is, if I replace my library with "matched" songs, are those songs still available in the cloud if I cancel my subscription because apple considers them "purchased" music (which is free to have in the cloud) or will a subscription still be required.

Basically, lets say I have 20 physical CD's imported in my iTunes, and the rest of my music is purchased from iTunes. All of my purchased music will be free to put in iCloud. I need to pay $25 to match the physical CD's I purchased in iCloud. After my year is up, do I still need to pay to have those original 20 CD's in the cloud? Or are they now considered purchased music so my whole library will be in the cloud.

I'm essentially trying to see if you have to pay $25 a year to keep your music in the cloud, or if you just want a few CD's if you can pay the fee once and it will be in the cloud forever.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
From Apple iTunes terms of service:

http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html

ITUNES MATCH

iTunes Match permits you to remotely access your matched or uploaded songs, and music videos you have purchased with your Account, along with related metadata, playlists, and other information about your iTunes Library (“iTunes Match Content”).

You may subscribe to iTunes Match for an annual fee. You must have a valid credit card on file with iTunes to subscribe. The subscription is non-refundable (except as required by applicable law), and will automatically renew for one-year periods until you cancel. Your account will be charged no more than 24 hours prior to the expiration of the current subscription period. You may cancel automatic renewal by adjusting the iTunes Store account settings on your computer. You will no longer be able to access your iTunes Match Content from iTunes Match after the end of your subscription period.

You'll be able to access your local iTunes library like normal, but will have zero access to iTunes Match content.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Then again, earlier in that same TOS document, Apple states that while you can re-download previous purchases (aka, "iTunes Eligible Content"), some "iTunes Eligible Content" may not be available for re-download. There's no indication what the criteria is that determines if a particular bit of iTunes Eligible Content can be re-downloaded or not.

The interesting bit is that under the Match section, Apple states "uploaded or matched songs and related information are deemed to be 'iTunes Eligible Content.'" The implication is that Matched songs may or may not be available for re-download. :) So yeah, no idea really. :)

Reactions: asterizk

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
There's no indication what the criteria is that determines if a particular bit of iTunes Eligible Content can be re-downloaded or not.

In the past, some songs have "disappeared" from the iTunes store, presumably because of a contract issue between Apple and the label. I wonder if this is the kind of scenario (like an app being pulled from the app store) they are talking about?

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
That's not what we are asking.

Will the tracks still be available in the CLOUD if you stop paying?
Isnt it weird? So many smug responses but not one straight answer. It's as if people are intentionally trying to avoid the question. :D

Anyway, I think it would make perfect sense for all our matched songs to ONLY be available/cataloged on the cloud IF we pay the yearly fee. But from what I've read then the answers are a bit mixed on whether a song that is currently matched/uploaded (cloud icon) will be available AFTER you cancel (cloud crossed out/cloud arrow/no icon at all).

My assumption is that your once Match subscription ends then all the icons are gone but what I really wonder is if they at least maintain your database for backup purposes. So if you lose all your songs one day then you can pay $25 to subscribe again and Match will say "Oh, I remember you. You had these 10k songs. I'll let you download it."

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
^^ haha, yeah I brought this question up in another thread and was told to search as it had been answered a million times. Yeah, the general question has been answered, but I'm asking something a bit more specific.

It's kind of funny that nobody really knows. I have a feeling this is a question we won't be able to answer for about a year!!

dknightd

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2004
Will the tracks still be available in the CLOUD if you stop paying?

My GUESS is not. Apple knows if the song was purchased, or was a match.

I think you are going to have to wait to find out. If it turns out they are not,, you can then decide if you want to keep paying $25 to have them available.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I'm wondering, once a song is matched is it considered purchased or is it still a "ripped" file just at the higher bit rate?

I think it's safest to assume that it will still be considered "Ripped" music. It shows still as "Matched" (not "Purchased") in iTunes, so I see no reason to expect that it would be considered "Purchased" music after your iCloud Match subscription lapses.

If you downloaded the 256-bit matches, you'll still have those of course - they are DRM-free AAC files.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
^^ That would be my assumption as well, but the fact that matched songs are then considered "iTunes Eligible" is causing a bit of confusion!!!

Seems to me like Apple is trying to get people to buy from iTunes rather than CD's because iTunes tracks are free to put in the cloud. If I continue to purchase music from iTunes to get free cloud access but have to continue to pay $25 a year to get (for example) 10 physical CD's to the cloud, it may be more convenient to just re purchase the tracks I enjoy from those CD's so I can have cloud access without the fees. But if I pay the $25 once and any tracks "matched" will be available in the cloud next year if I don't renew, then match seems like a much better service. providing more bang for your buck so to speak.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
if I pay the $25 once and any tracks "matched" will be available in the cloud next year if I don't renew, then match seems like a much better service. providing more bang for your buck so to speak.

That would be nice, but what would Apple's motivation be? Altruism?

As you said you may choose to re-buy existing music in iTunes now, if they were to convert your ripped music to "Purchased" then you would have no reason to do so.

Since I've seen nothing to indicate that ripped music WILL be converted to purchased, and I can't come up with a business reason that would benefit Apple for doing so, I have to assume it won't happen.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
because iTunes tracks are free to put in the cloud. If I continue to purchase music from iTunes to get free cloud access...

Actually, here's an interesting tidbit of information - unless I'm doing something wrong (and if I am, please let me know!) as a non-subscriber to Match I don't have any access to stream my iTunes purchases. I can re-download the tracks I've previously purchased, but not stream them like I would if I had subscribed. Without streaming one way or the other, it suggests that ripped but matched/uploaded tracks would not be available, regardless of their status.

dukedvl

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008
Actually, here's an interesting tidbit of information - unless I'm doing something wrong (and if I am, please let me know!) as a non-subscriber to Match I don't have any access to stream my iTunes purchases. I can re-download the tracks I've previously purchased, but not stream them like I would if I had subscribed. Without streaming one way or the other, it suggests that ripped but matched/uploaded tracks would not be available, regardless of their status.

iTunes Match is not a streaming service for anyone. Only uploading and downloading of tracks can be performed.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
iTunes Match is not a streaming service for anyone. Only uploading and downloading of tracks can be performed.

not quite true. i have iTunes match set up on two machines - my home PC and work MacBook Pro. The original files are on my home machine. On my work Mac, after turning on iTunes match, all my songs appear with the "download cloud" icon next to them. They are streaming from the iTunes server, unless I click to download them locally.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I too am curious about this. I think what you are asking is: Will Apple still see these as "itunes purchased" songs after you've matched them and your subscription is up.... Or will they go back to being seen as songs purchased or "obtained" outside of the iTunes store.

I think Apple is smart and greedy so they would find a way to unmark these songs and have them go back to non-iTunes purchased songs if you stop paying them the yearly subscription... But thats just my opinion.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
I too am curious about this. I think what you are asking is: Will Apple still see these as "itunes purchased" songs after you've matched them and your subscription is up.... Or will they go back to being seen as songs purchased or "obtained" outside of the iTunes store.

I think Apple is smart and greedy so they would find a way to unmark these songs and have them go back to non-iTunes purchased songs if you stop paying them the yearly subscription... But thats just my opinion.

Won't happen. There's no DRM on songs downloaded via iTunes match. Apple has no way to "controlling" these files once they are on your local machine.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH

Actually, you can stream on other computers. iOS devices will always download the song.

Had a question about iTunes Match that I can't seem to find an answer to. There are a few threads that discuss the matter, but none with definitive answers.

From what I understand, iTunes will match your library and allow you to replace any tracks with the "updated" match versions.

My question is, when I decide to stop paying for iTunes match, what happens to those "matched" songs in my library. I gather that if you have replaced the tracks in your library with "matched" tracks, that the "matched" tracks will remain on your device. Is this accurate?

Assuming it is, do those tracks count as music purchased from iTunes or not? Will they still be available to download from iCloud or not? Music bought from iTunes is free to store in iCloud, while other music requires a subscription to iTunes Match. That's why I'm wondering, once a song is matched is it considered purchased or is it still a "ripped" file just at the higher bit rate?

Thanks!

Well, since iTunes Match has a "Purchased" status, I'm guessing that only those that are marked with Purchased would be available to re-download. I don't think ANYTHING is available to you in the cloud per-se once you stop paying for iTunes Match. As always, prior iTunes purchases can be re-downloaded....but you have to get those through the store.

-Kevin

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
haha yes, exactly what I'm asking. Hard question to get people to understand!! :cool:

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO

Seriously? Wow. Apple's webpage (http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/) says "Once your music is in iCloud, you can stream and store it on any of your devices." I guess their definition of "stream" is not the same as yours or mine. :)

Edit - ah, seems for iOS devices its download only, but for desktop iTunes it is streaming.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
Seriously? Wow. Apple's webpage (http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/) says "Once your music is in iCloud, you can stream and store it on any of your devices." I guess their definition of "stream" is not the same as yours or mine. :)
it doesn't stream to iDevices, so people who don't have two macs probably didn't know that you can stream your library. Makes you wonder if streaming to iDevices was disabled at carriers request or if apple decided not to allow it.... you would think it would at least be allowed over wi-fi.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH

Edit - ah, seems for iOS devices its download only, but for desktop iTunes it is streaming.

it doesn't stream to iDevices, so people who don't have two macs probably didn't know that you can stream your library. Makes you wonder if streaming to iDevices was disabled at carriers request or if apple decided not to allow it.... you would think it would at least be allowed over wi-fi.

For iOS devices it's "kinda" streaming. When you first click a song, it starts to play in a few seconds while it's being downloaded. I think the issue people are having is....Apple keeps the songs on the device. People with streaming expect the song to not be stored once it's done. Clearly you want the song to be stored on the device at least while you play it.....so if you lost internet you don't lose your song.

As I understand it.....Apple will auto delete songs if your device starts to fill up and you request other songs.

-Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.