Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
I do have a passkey, not sure what this client-type=advanced is or where it should go.

I may be getting a Titan in the next few months... I do 3d rendering and have been contemplating one. It'll probably fold nice too.

it's under configure, then expert, then you add an option, the name is:
client-type
and the next field put in:
advanced
and save the configuration and you should be good to go.

and a Titan is great -- whiterabbit has 4 of them in one rig!

see:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1617189/

... a Titan gets almost 200 K ppd; a 780 around 120+... and they're both beautiful cards! (I want one too!)

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
But what's it do?

setting that "advanced" flag enables you to pull in Core17 GPU work units (if your card is running under windows 64 bit, with a client 7 and is eligible for it. then if your card can finish the work unit before the preferred deadline then you get bonus points in addition to the base points... (can also do nVidia cards under Linux but not AMD)

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
it's under configure, then expert, then you add an option, the name is:
client-type
and the next field put in:
advanced
and save the configuration and you should be good to go.

and a Titan is great -- whiterabbit has 4 of them in one rig!

see:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1617189/

... a Titan gets almost 200 K ppd; a 780 around 120+... and they're both beautiful cards! (I want one too!)

Well I just ordered a Titan. Should arrive tomorrow. Will it be soon enough to keep costabunny off my tail?! :)

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Well I just ordered a Titan. Should arrive tomorrow. Will it be soon enough to keep costabunny off my tail?! :)

Yup, that will keep her on distance for a short while ... Until she gets a new card or CPU ...
Ahhh, this kind of escalation we like ... More battle, more points

You will love the Titan ... A piece of art ... (I have a 780; same look, less power, less cost, too). Expect you to remove me from my current fourth place.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto

Wow!! Congrats! As Christian sez; a very, very nice looking card indeed -- and will pull in lots of points!

Louis

PS and it should really rock your 3D rendering...

Last edited:

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
All cylinders firing now! :D

I literally just started it so I expect the PPD to increase a fair amount as it figures out how fast it can go.

fah.jpg

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
All cylinders firing now! :D

I literally just started it so I expect the PPD to increase a fair amount as it figures out how fast it can go.

View attachment 441451

Nice !!

Seems you didn't configured client-type = advanced for the Titan-slot. You fold with a core 0x15 project. That a nice, legacy but not bring too much points. You see only a boost and bonus points (QRB, quick return bonus) with advanced project (project 8900, 7810, 7811).

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Nice !!

Seems you didn't configured client-type = advanced for the Titan-slot. You fold with a core 0x15 project. That a nice, legacy but not bring too much points. You see only a boost and bonus points (QRB, quick return bonus) with advanced project (project 8900, 7810, 7811).

I've had client-type advanced in extra client options since you mentioned it. The client has definitely been restarted since I had to shut off my computer to install the new card.

fah.jpg

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I've had client-type advanced in extra client options since you mentioned it. The client has definitely been restarted since I had to shut off my computer to install the new card.

View attachment 441477

well hopefully you'll get the good units soon. and you do have a passkey, right?

I haven't folded in a while but I did run my 670s a few times. I'm gonna start up the Titan and see how that pulls through :D

sweet! let us know if you have any trouble getting it going!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I am back in the fold with the following systems but not exactly full time

Mac Mini
Core i5 2.3 GHz Core i5

Home Built System
- Gigabyte 787-HD3
- 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7-4770K (Haswell)
- 8GB DDR3 Memory (For now)
- nVidia GeForce GTX 650 (For now, 2nd GPU on order next week :) )
- Ugly Coolermaster case (For Now, until my Powermac G5 case mod is done)

Part Time (when at the office)
MacBook Pro
- Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Holy crap! Really? :D Maybe I should build a new rig with 4 then :p The mac Pro will only take 2.

OK -- need to back up a bit here -- works only under Windows or Linux and nVidia drivers -- you had me at "Titan" where I wrongly thought that you were running Windows (how are you powering the card?)

For folding, can you run a dual boot on your Mac? I don't think we get GPU folding under OSX. (I gave up running f@h on my macs and started building Windows and Linux boxes to do that)

Last edited:

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
OK -- need to back up a bit here -- works only under Windows or Linux and nVidia drivers -- you had me at "Titan" where I wrongly thought that you were running Windows (how are you powering the card?)

For folding, can you run a dual boot on your Mac? I don't think we get GPU folding under OSX. (I gave up running f@h on my macs and started building Windows and Linux boxes to do that)
I'm booted in Windows 7. I have an internally mounted PSU in my lower optical bay. GPU can't be accessed if booted into OSX and using Parallels/Fusion to emulate Windows. The Titan works in OSX too, just I don't think there is a GPU client for OSX, at least a few years ago there wasn't.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I'm booted in Windows 7. I have an internally mounted PSU in my lower optical bay. GPU can't be accessed if booted into OSX and using Parallels/Fusion to emulate Windows. The Titan works in OSX too, just I don't think there is a GPU client for OSX, at least a few years ago there wasn't.

No there is not currently, which is sad. I really want to boot the Hack into OS X and leave it in a proper OS 24x7, but no GPU support as of yet.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto

that optical bay PSU certainly is a more elegant solution than hacking wires into your case...

... but I guess the question is -- does the Titan work for folding when you've got it booted in Windows only? That's disappointing about the GPU not being accessible with a VM...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.