Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

praetorx

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
oh okay.

well i don't know if you've looked at folding@home, but it is a good cause. we'd love to have you folding for us. let us know if you decide to join and need any help :cool:

Are you guys in a team? I'm getting the SMP version now...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i may be down for a few days, as i am re-arranging some of my systems. i'm also giving one rig away, but the person i'm giving it to will continue to fold with it in my name.

my overall production will be down a little, but i'm okay with it. the power bill is just too high right now, and it sucks when my wife tries to vacuum and breaks a circuit. :eek:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
well i finally got my 3 GPUs on my main pc folding again. i reinstalled everything on a bigger hard drive (1TB), and i was having problems getting the GPUs to fold. but they are crunching away now

praetorx

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Added another cruncher. This will be my "24/7" cruncher from now on (shared between BOINC and FAH projects):

HP xw8600 workstation: 2x Xeon E5450 Quad-Core 3 GHz, 16GB DDR2 ECC, Quadro FX 6400 768MB

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Added another cruncher. This will be my "24/7" cruncher from now on (shared between BOINC and FAH projects):

HP xw8600 workstation: 2x Xeon E5450 Quad-Core 3 GHz, 16GB DDR2 ECC, Quadro FX 6400 768MB

nice! how are you splitting it up for each project? (if you don't mind me asking)

that seems like a very nice machine! do you use it for anything else?

praetorx

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
nice! how are you splitting it up for each project? (if you don't mind me asking)

that seems like a very nice machine! do you use it for anything else?

Right now I'm manually managing both, running F@H during weekends when milkyway is offline (or so appears to be since a couple of weeks).

Yes, this box is also hooked to my TV in the living room, using it to stream movies from Amazon but that's only a smokescreen to get by my wife :)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Right now I'm manually managing both, running F@H during weekends when milkyway is offline (or so appears to be since a couple of weeks).

Yes, this box is also hooked to my TV in the living room, using it to stream movies from Amazon but that's only a smokescreen to get by my wife :)

oh okay i gotcha :)

praetorx

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
I have abandoned the Milkyway/BOINC project in favor of Folding@Home. I made this decision after numerous unplanned outages with the Milkyway project.

F@H uptime seems to be excellent.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I have abandoned the Milkyway/BOINC project in favor of Folding@Home. I made this decision after numerous unplanned outages with the Milkyway project.

F@H uptime seems to be excellent.

alright! thanks! i really believe fah is a great project worth devoting your resources towards. glad you're on our team!

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I'm finally back from all my travels and am getting ready to power my PS3 back up (mac pro is out of the running for now while I find a new PSU)

Though I was wondering for those of you that fold on PS3's as well does anyone have any experience between the slim and "original" I'm planning on getting a 2nd ps3 for Netflix and streaming in the bedroom that id like to use for folding as well but am curious if there are any advantages to the slim or original.

I know power consumption is less but that's a non issue for me as my non slim ps3 doesn't seem to suck down that much. I'm more wondering about durability and if a slim can run 24/7 like my original does

----------

PS: hope everybody had a happy holidays and a good new years as well!!

praetorx

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
The new PS3 uses a 45nm manufacturing process (vs 65nm for old SKU) and generates less heat which can be a problem if your box is not well ventilated. I also believe the old 65nm version had a higher number of YOLDs (yellow light of death).

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I'm finally back from all my travels and am getting ready to power my PS3 back up (mac pro is out of the running for now while I find a new PSU)

Though I was wondering for those of you that fold on PS3's as well does anyone have any experience between the slim and "original" I'm planning on getting a 2nd ps3 for Netflix and streaming in the bedroom that id like to use for folding as well but am curious if there are any advantages to the slim or original.

I know power consumption is less but that's a non issue for me as my non slim ps3 doesn't seem to suck down that much. I'm more wondering about durability and if a slim can run 24/7 like my original does

----------

PS: hope everybody had a happy holidays and a good new years as well!!

glad you are back and ready to fold!

i have both versions of PS3s. my old PS3 was showing signs of breaking down, so i went ahead and got a new one. i'm currently only folding with the slim one, and i think it does just fine!

The new PS3 uses a 45nm manufacturing process (vs 65nm for old SKU) and generates less heat which can be a problem if your box is not well ventilated. I also believe the old 65nm version had a higher number of YOLDs (yellow light of death).

thanks for that info! i thought the new one generated less heat, and used about half the power.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
my 2¢

FYI I'm running 2 Mac Pros, 2010 versions, one 8-core and one 6-core. They seem to be good for about 25 K ppd each running the latest V7 beta and no GPU of course. I just added a PC built with a 2.8 Nehalem and was a bit disappointed to see that it only gets about 11 K ppd.

Not too sure about the new beta either; on one MP I can see the viewer but not the controller; on the other I can see the controller but not the viewer. At least they keep the room warm.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I have decided to throw 3 of my old gpu's (GTX 470) back in the mix to see what they do for me these days (not in the mac pro). I doubt I will make as many ppd as I used to but with one mac pro and a the i7 and 3 gpu's we'll see what I can get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.