Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexander8317

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what the problem is with my mac. So, a little while ago there were several cases of my macbook somehow waking itself from sleep mode (while the lid was CLOSED) and severely overheating, while the fans would be blasting. It would literally be hot to the touch and the battery would drain itself by the time i discovered it (usually after unpacking my backpack at the end of the day). After about 2-3 instances of this, I saw that my macbook started operating extremely slow, an extremely sharp contrast to how it was right before then--so much that it was practically unusable.

On every application, such as using Word or just going on facebook, I would get the spinning wheel like every 5-30 seconds, for like 10-30 seconds at a time. Opening and closing programs was especially difficult. I could barely type on Word because virtually EVERY thing I did caused me to have to wait out the spinning wheel. So, anyway, I used disk utility to repair the drives and I just erased my entire hard drive to see if it would help--I reinstalled OS X using Recovery HD mode (I don't know if using the disk that came with the mac would have made a difference?). However, it is only slightly better now, and that's probably because I deleted EVERYTHING on my mac and freed up virtually all the space.

Is there anything else I should be doing or looking at? Does anyone have a clue what could have gone wrong after the instances of severe overheating? Could the overheating have fried or damaged any of the internal components? And if so, which components are likely to have been damaged (CPU, hard drive, logic board?) Should I upgrade the processor, RAM, or change the hard drive? Thanks a million to anyone who can guide me in figuring out the root cause.

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Try an SMC reset for the unexpected wakes. Your other symptoms sound like drive or drive cable failures - in which case one of those two components will need replacing.

I doubt any hardware was damaged by the heat. You can't upgrade the processor, but I would recommend upgrades of both RAM and hard drive if the machine is still on its standard configuration.

Reactions: idunn

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Do as above and also run the hardware test from the boot menu. It'll show any hardware issues.

Reactions: idunn

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The SATA cables in these models are prone to fail. It might be a good idea to replace that as well.

alexander8317

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Try an SMC reset for the unexpected wakes. Your other symptoms sound like drive or drive cable failures - in which case one of those two components will need replacing.

I doubt any hardware was damaged by the heat. You can't upgrade the processor, but I would recommend upgrades of both RAM and hard drive if the machine is still on its standard configuration.

Thanks, tried the SMC reset but nothing! I'm betting the hard drive cables are the culprit... Hopefully, because it would probably be the cheapest option. Though going for an SSD drive wouldn't hurt :)
[doublepost=1471833305][/doublepost]
When is the last time you removed dust and applied new thermal paste?

Haven't... how often do you recommend doing this?
[doublepost=1471833583][/doublepost]
Is it still the original HDD? Have you replaced with a SSD? What version OSX?

It's still the original hard drive. I JUST updated to El Capitan (10.11.6) after I had reinstalled the original OSX (Lion). I know upgrading to an SSD would make a huge in terms of speed, but I have a feeling the hard drive might still be alright if I simply change the cables... There were no hardware problems when I ran the Hardware Test built into the machine. I also used disk utility to verify and repair the HDD and there were no problems there either... Odd maybe.
[doublepost=1471833749][/doublepost]
Do as above and also run the hardware test from the boot menu. It'll show any hardware issues.

Strange, I ran this test and there were no issues found (at first it did crash and gave me an odd error but I restarted the computer, ran it again and had no problems). I previously also used disk utility to repair the disk, with no problems shown there either.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
It's still the original hard drive. I JUST updated to El Capitan (10.11.6) after I had reinstalled the original OSX (Lion). I know upgrading to an SSD would make a huge in terms of speed, but I have a feeling the hard drive might still be alright if I simply change the cables... There were no hardware problems when I ran the Hardware Test built into the machine. I also used disk utility to verify and repair the HDD and there were no problems there either... Odd maybe.

SSD's are pretty affordable - and it will make a huge difference - I have the 15" model (2012) and put an EVO 850 SSD in 2 years ago and was blown away at how much faster it is. For example I used to go have a coffee when I turned on my macbook ( would take a minute or 2 to boot) now with the SSD it boots in 10 - 12 seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.