Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macoda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2020

Installed an SSD in lieu of the HDD in a 27" 2010 yesterday running a Radeon HD 5750 and now I've got what looks to be a backlight issue. I only bought this recently so when I'd the screen off I was greeted by what can only be described as something akin to an iMac crypt. Next level dust. Rocket-blew as much as I could away before doing the SSD work. Once I'd everything back together it ran fine for a few hours and then I take my eyes off it for 5 minutes and am greeted with massive shadowing on the RHS of the screen. Fans are fine as I replaced the sensor with one of these thanks to a tip in another thread.

The obvious advice is to reseat the cables that were removed in order to get the LCD out, but this looks a little more serious? In the GPU thread I've seen links to guys cleaning dust from behind the LCD , but given that the screen was not displaying any shadowing for a couple of hours I'm not about to go that far just yet.

What do you think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.