Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
Yes, she's a true star!

@ojfd For the benefit of us monolinguals, can you please give a little rundown of what's being sung? :)

I'm not German, I understand only half of what he sings, because it is sung in Cologne dialect. It is a refrain from a carnival song. In short - Cologne girls know how to kiss and, boy, it tastes like apple pie.
I think we have plenty of native speakers here, maybe they can help with more precise translation, although that dialect is a tough case ;)

EDIT. Wanna confuse Google translator? Try the original. :D
Kölsche Mädcher künnen bütze,
jo dat es en wahre Staat.
Su e Bützche vun ´nem Nützche,
Jung dat schmeck wie Appeltaat.

EDIT 2. To stay on topic. I've put an older generation Samsung mSATA SM841 SSD into my 12" PB G4 today and I'm seeing a little speed bump compared to Samsung PM851. I think it is due to MLC vs. TLC issue. SM841 has MLC chips and is based on Samsung 840 PRO, whereas PM851 is based on 840 Evo/TLC.

Last edited:

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Thanks, that's great - never heard it before!

You're welcome. There's an instrumental version too that occasionally played instead as the closing theme. Unfortunately I've not come across that one so far.

Wonder whether Kylie went to her writing team and said, "give me something a bit trip hop and John Barry!" :D

:D Yes, you do get the impression that she came into the studio with a copy of Portishead's Dummy and asked David Arch and Republica's Andrew Todd for something along similar lines: especially that of Sour Times.

Reactions: Dronecatcher

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
It was used as the theme tune for ITV's short-lived soap Night and Day but inexplicably never saw release.

I guess this one is from a 'grey zone':

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I guess this one is from a 'grey zone':

Going by the copyright disclaimer on the rear cover and the absence of basic information that would be expected to accompany a genuine commercial release, I'd say so.

oasantos1

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2023
Orange County, CA
I booted up my PowerBook G4 after many years.
I played a 1 v 1 match in Starcraft.

Aside from basic word processing and 26 year old games, what else can be done with this Mac?

Its 12" 1.5/1.25GB/60GB model On 10.4.11.

Any web browsers that can load modern sites?
PB.jpg

maître

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2022
Russia
Aside from basic word processing and 26 year old games, what else can be done with this Mac?
Well, there's plenty of powerful abandoned software to do anything, pretty much. In fact, for recording music and graphic design, it would be great. In terms of connectivity, maybe you can use it for remote access like VNC or radio streaming.
I have this (these 😏) exact machine, productively I use it for digitizing VHS and vinyl, I also play electric piano in Logic because I think it sounds really good, and watching DVDs because Apple's DVD player is the best.

I'm not that young so I remember Youtube looking like this but my God this screenshot is Aesthetic 😮

DouglasCarroll

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2016
I booted up my PowerBook G4 after many years.
I played a 1 v 1 match in Starcraft.

Its 12" 1.5/1.25GB/60GB model On 10.4.11.

Any web browsers that can load modern sites?
View attachment 2347479
I use my G4 Powerbook to stream Pandora using pianobar and I also stream audiobooks from my library using a web browser. Also I play roguelike games or even fan made modules on Neverwinter Nights. You can pretty much do most everything you do on a modern system other than stream high resolution video.

😀

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
And it's a pity none of the big name retro youtubers never make a video like it - instead endlessly churn out, "poor old Power Macs - useless now..." videos.

Those disparaging videos cater to a confirmation bias amongst their audience and instead of taking the opportunity to refute it - as you've done so - instead they play up to these misconceptions.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Gah! Her SAW era was a mere flickering candle compared to the white hot thermonuclear incandescence of her later phase - in one deft move, the apotheosis of indie/sex/disco Kylie:

Thanks @Dronecatcher ......😍
Since your post, 'I can't get (this tune) out of my head'.

Been humming it daily....🤣
It may be because the video is so niiiice......😛

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.