Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
It was a couple days ago, but on my 17" aluminum PowerBook G4, I used Snaps Pro X to record some animations I made on "The Simpsons Cartoon Studio" (running via Classic)...
View attachment 2362775
(Yeah, I plan to soon replace that Arabic keyboard with an English one.)

Here are the actual cartoons, after loading the footage into Final Cut Pro on my M1 MacBook Air, trimming the footage and re-syncing the audio...
That is such a cool app....👍

ToniCH

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2020
Today, I've mostly been trying to figure out my MDD FW800. I had a problem that my disks were unwritable for some reason. I reformatted and reinstalled OS (Leopard and then Sorbet) couple of times and all went well but when I rebooted after os installation and tried to install software the disks could not be written to (no space and cmd+I could not report disk size).

Today I bought a new PRAM-battery (CR1/2AA) and at some stage got bored about the machine reporting wrong date after every boot, for some reason the os could not automatically set the date. So, I set it manually. Simsalabim! ;) and the drives became writable again and automatic date and time also started working! 😳 I've never had a machine in use with a dead pram battery so I had no idea that the drives or network time do not work if the date is set to the default 1970. 🧐

Well, anyways - now I have installed bunch of sw like CS4, Office 04 and bunch of other stuff I might need at some stage. Coincidentally one of my product box designs was originally made with CS2 and then the latest versions edited with CS4 and I don't have any newer bought and paid Indesign than CS4. And this weekend I need to edit that design as EU has a new demands on package markings and I need to add something. So, a perfect oppoturnity to use the MDD for actual work in 2024! Didn't know this would happen when I bought the machine only few days ago. 👍

PS. ordered a new Noctua 120mm CPU fan for it. Still considering PSU fans. Also ordered a 512Mb memory to top the memory from 1.75GB to 2GB. I now have 3x512 + 256.
PS2. learned that the MDD PSU does not completely turn off when you shut down the computer. It still remains warm to touch even after many hours after shutdown. No wonder the PSU's die early even if the computer is not so much used. So, a extension lead with an on/off switch or something is needed to completely turn it off.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Pulled the 17" PowerBook out of the garage to put on the desk since there's space now.

Connected via a BT adapter to my soundbar. Got the adapter off eBay recently. The device/adapter actually makes the BT connection then funnels the sound through a 3.5mm headphone jack to the computer.

Decided just to use the WiFi adapter for 5GHz networks that I got some time ago as well (I normally just use ethernet).

So, streaming the Homeworld game soundtracks to my BT soundbar from the main library on my NAS.

The app is Songbird by the way, which just like Nightingale on my Intel Macs, immediately picked up the new songs on my NAS (where all my music resides).

2024-03-27 16.43.04.jpg

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Got around to adding my iSight back, but this time connecting it to the PowerBook. I don't really use it (it works) but would like to find some purpose for it that a PowerPC app is available for.
I still have my iSight (which is mint in it's tube)....;)
Mine had some use back in the day using iStopMotion software.
Not sure if the older versions are available anywhere (i.e. PPC)....🤔

I have it installed on my iPad and can use iPhone as a camera, but havn't used it for years.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I still have my iSight (which is mint in it's tube)....;)
Mine had some use back in the day using iStopMotion software.
Not sure if the older versions are available anywhere (i.e. PPC)....🤔

I have it installed on my iPad and can use iPhone as a camera, but havn't used it for years.
I've used it for Zoom meetings connected to my MacPro (using a FW 400/800 adapter) and it works just fine. But, with my new desk layout I see no legit spot to put it without the metal flange it normally rests on looking out of place. So I just attached it to the PowerBook. I got it for this Mac originally anyway so that work out. But even with the MacPro my consumption of video calls or webcam use is pretty much zero. I do have another iSight in the garage that was given to me as well. It also works, but again no real use for either.

It's a shame because both are great.

ToniCH

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2020
PowerMac G4 MDD FW800:

The Noctua 120mm fan arrived. I will see if it plugs right in or do I need to rig something for the connection.

What are acceptable temps for the 1.25GHz G4 processors? With stock fan and old thermal paste it now idles at about 51°C (123.8F).

I was wondering about the PSU, is there any preventative maintenance I could do to avoid problems with the stock PSU? Mine is AcBel. What are the components that go bad? Would a recap help, or something else?

ToniCH

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2020
Have some as spare. Is it safe to replace factory installed in terms of airflow/temperatures?
Well, that is what I am trying to find out. Fan needs to have enough airflow, then its safe to replace it.

The Noctua standard pin order is different to Mac std. So, I had to swap the red and black in the connector to make it run. Of course I realized this after putting everything back in so I had to take it apart again to do the swap.

Also my MDD G800 has a plastic air deflector attached to the fan outlet and I didn't pay attention in what orientation it was originally (its not symmetric). Didn't find it in any youtube videos or even service manual. I put it the way that felt logical to me.

ToniCH

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2020
My early findings about the fan swap and idle temps of the G4 MDD FW800 1.25DP:

1. idle temp: 51°C (stock very loud fan)
2. idle temp with the Noctua Redux 1300rpm: 58°C. So its not as powerful but much quieter (92.3 m2/h, 19.2dB).
3. idle temp with the Noctua + CHUD tools cpu nap enabled: 39°C

All of the above with old thermal paste.

And then
4. idle temp with the Noctua + Arctic MX-6 thermal paste: 54°C (58->54°C by just renewing the thermal paste!)
5. idle temp with the Noctua + Arctic MX-6 + CHUD tools cpu nap: 36°C

I also cut the grill off from intake side of the fan and left the finger protection grill out too. They only reduce airflow - especially the sheet metal one on the intake side.

Can anybody chime in what are the safe upper temps for these G4-cpu's? I am trying to figure out if I need to upgrade the Noctua to higher revving one?

EDIT: I decided not to risk it, I ordered a new Noctua fan that flows 30% more and is still quite silent (25dB). That should do the job.

Attachments

• Grills removed.JPG
    Grills removed.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Grill remove.jpg
    Grill remove.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Fan installation.JPG
    Fan installation.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 23
  • CPUs visible doing repaste 2.JPG
    CPUs visible doing repaste 2.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

ToniCH

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2020
I found a cheap Radeon 9600 Pro Mac edition and bought it. Hope it works with my MDD FW800. I know about the pins to cut or tape over. Could not find any decent comparison between 9000 Pro and 9600 Pro but the specs look good enough in favor of the 9600 Pro so I decided to buy it.

Reactions: Amethyst1

ToniCH

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2020
You will need to install this because this particular card doesn’t have an NDRV in ROM — you’ll only get a broken greyscale image without it. See here.
Thanks for the tip, I downloaded it. What is NDRV btw (some kind of drivers which are not included in the OS maybe)? The first link lists 10.3.x and 10.4.x and the thread talks about 10.2.x. Do I still need it when I am running 10.5.x (Sorbet)?

The card I bought is a G5 -card (Apple 630-4695). I thought I only need to cut or tape over the 2 pins to make it work in a PM G4 AGP 4x (?).

Last edited:
Reactions: Amethyst1

Haemoglobin

macrumors regular
Today I finally got around to trying Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic on my upgraded QuickSilver, for the first time I have a PPC Mac that can run this game!!! I was half expecting my Geforce2 MX to throw a spanner in the works, but nope, it runs. It's been a long road to finally reach this point lol
I've spent last few years upgrading my old B&W replacing the G4 500mhz I bought back in 2005 with a Sonnet G4 1Ghz. But even combined with my ATI 9000 I have installed, it still wouldn't run KOTOR. Learning the hard way, that 3D graphics on a PCI Powermac can be a challenge. So grateful to my friend for gifting me his spare QS, as it's quickly turning a system I have switched on daily.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Today I finally got around to trying Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic on my upgraded QuickSilver, for the first time I have a PPC Mac that can run this game!!! I was half expecting my Geforce2 MX to throw a spanner in the works, but nope, it runs. It's been a long road to finally reach this point lol
I've spent last few years upgrading my old B&W replacing the G4 500mhz I bought back in 2005 with a Sonnet G4 1Ghz. But even combined with my ATI 9000 I have installed, it still wouldn't run KOTOR. Learning the hard way, that 3D graphics on a PCI Powermac can be a challenge. So grateful to my friend for gifting me his spare QS, as it's quickly turning a system I have switched on daily.
I was expecting a screenshot.....😀

ToniCH

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2020
EDIT: I decided not to risk it, I ordered a new Noctua fan that flows 30% more and is still quite silent (25dB). That should do the job.
So, today the Noctua Redux 1700rpm PWM arrived. It runs 400rpm faster at top speed and delivers 120m3/h (vs. 92m3/h). There is not a big temperature difference at idle obviously as it seems not to run at top speed - maybe only 1-2°C less than the Redux 1300rpm (maybe the operational rpm scale is different?). But, I hear the fan speed change when doing things so I assume the main difference comes when the logic board thinks max rpm is needed. Well, the idle temps are now very close to what the original fan could deliver. I could of course wire it straight into PSU molex-connector but then it would run at 100% all the time and that is something I do not want. I did aim for less noise after all.

So, my MDD CPU-fan experiments end here. Next maybe the PSU-fans or ATX-PSU swap...lets see. Both are a bit on the expensive side to invest to an old G4. 🤔

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Broke down and ran an ethernet cable from my second switch to my PowerBook. It was taking forever to connect to network shares.

Reactions: MarkC426

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Connected Bluetooth speaker via USB cable (for power) to PowerBook and then connected same speaker to BT device (using Bluetooth) that I have attached to the Mac.

PowerBook has AirServer, so I'm sending the audio from my MacPro to the PowerBook which is pumping it out to the BT speaker through the BT device.

Let's see how long it takes the messed up battery on the BT speaker to start chirping with line feedback <sigh>.

Reactions: MarkC426

ToniCH

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2020
Upgraded my G4 MDD FW800 to 2GB RAM. :cool:

Also the Radeon 9600 Pro I was expecting arrived, I'll tackle that during weekend. Probably I'll first try the tape mod and if I see that the card works I might do the more permanent resistor cut or delete thing. I don't have any use for the 9600 in my G5's so I can happily do the permanent mod for this one. And I also redid the thermal paste on it using Arctic MX-6.

9600-Pro-repaste.jpg

Last edited:

ToniCH

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2020
I made the tape mod to the 9600 Pro and it worked right away. 👍 Had to brutally clip the retaining hook (the L-shaped thing in the card above) off with sidecutter pliers as it was in the wrong position and prevented installation. 🥷

Annoyed that I forgot to do benchmarks with the stock Radeon 9000 Pro as I now cannot marvel the fastness of the new card 😠 ;) Anybody have a GPU Xbench results for MDD FW800 + 9000 Pro? Or even some other G4 with the same GPU?

Reactions: headlessmike

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Today gave my mint condition Blue and White G3 the love it deserved- major upgrades!
It’s now got:
G4/400 (Yikes CPU)- upgraded using Newertech G4 enabler, just to be safe
ATI Radeon 9200LE- 128MB Vram (sounds amazing on paper but running on PCI doesn’t really let it sing)
1GB Ram
60GB Sata via pata-Sata adapter
Gigabit Ethernet PCI- wifi via Vonets bridge connected to gigabit port.
USB 2.0 PCI Card.
Also has a stock DVD Rom and I’ve actually got that nice ATI Rage 128 with the add-on DVD decoder card, I was super keen to try that out but then discovered I don’t have a single movie DVD left… fail lol.

Antway, I think this is about as good as it can get. I would one day like a 1GHZ G4 Sonnet card, but those are crazy rare, and I know they reduce the system bus down to 66mhz (so actual performance is closer to a 700mhz G4 at full speed) I think the ideal upgrade is actually a 500-600Mhz G4. I have an aftermarket 500 G4 but it doesn’t work, so for now it’s 400mhz.
For testing I was able to barely eke out 360p MP4 playback; think 500 would get me to proper playback. But that’s not really the purpose for this machine.

For now, I’m pretty satisfied!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.