Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
When I discovered that NWN EE was unplayable with the 9400m on my A1181 MB 5,2 (Hey, it was worth a shot, and the system requirements on GOG suggested it might be playable on low settings...) I put together a Wineskin install of NWN Diamond and NWN 2 Complete, with the latest community patches. Next up, I'll do the same for Dungeon Siege 1 and 2, as well as Titan Quest AE.

Ah, the memories. I must have sunken weeks into MacSoft's original port of NWN Diamond back in the day on my old Power Mac G4.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
You bet they do!

If you want my CD collection you're gonna have to pry it from my cold dead hands!

Same goes with my DVDs (and even more so with my Blu-rays) - I'm not going to rent content (or software for that matter) online because I can see what the implications are for the future and it's sad that so many people have fallen for the false narrative that physical media is old hat and outdated. End of sermon.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
New 23" CD arrived today. The last one will be here tomorrow.

Because the cable has to travel a long way to the Mac and I do not have a female to female DVI connector, I had to get creative…

From the back of the Mac to the point in the display.

Display Port to DVI>DVI cable (male) to HDMI male>female to female HDMI coupler>HDMI (male) to DVI (female) adapter>Cinema Display cable.

2021-03-25 13.38.11.jpg

I will be purchasing some DVI female to female connectors!

All five displays…

2021-03-25 14.07.53.jpg

Resolutions…

2021-03-25 14.10.03.jpg

PS. The 23 inch is smaller than I thought it would be. Perhaps it's the same size as the 20" but with increased resolution?

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
To me it's not just that aspect, but that physical media is part of the experience. Picking a disc from the shelf, looking at the cover, putting it into the player and waiting for the playback to begin.
Lucky You!
My aspect of physical media: thinking about music or a film. Start searching. Do not find the object of desire (but a lot of other stuff that needs to be tucked away ...). Be frustrated. Do something else.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
New 23" CD arrived today. The last one will be here tomorrow.

Because the cable has to travel a long way to the Mac and I do not have a female to female DVI connector, I had to get creative…

From the back of the Mac to the point in the display.

Display Port to DVI>DVI cable (male) to HDMI male>female to female HDMI coupler>HDMI (male) to DVI (female) adapter>Cinema Display cable.

View attachment 1749304

I will be purchasing some DVI female to female connectors!

All five displays…

View attachment 1749307

Resolutions…

View attachment 1749308

PS. The 23 inch is smaller than I thought it would be. Perhaps it's the same size as the 20" but with increased resolution?
Awesome setting!
A 400x80x4 cm full wooden countertop would be the ultimate extension ... (a rolling showcase cabinet for purses would also fit beneath and make everyone happy ... ;))

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Had EyeTv 3.3.3 running under snow leopard but recently found an old usb stick amongst my clutter with EyeTv 3.6.5 on it.. did an install and found it is so much improved. The tv program guide lists so many more channels now. I could receive them before but the extra content in the guide permits a simple click to add scheduled recordings. I think conversions from an EyeTv file to a Mpeg4 works better too...but need to test that more.

Reactions: Streakmachine

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Yesterday I was reading about browsers in the Mavericks discussion, and Google Chrome was mentioned as a browser that works from OS 10.6 up. I took a look and found the 10.6 download though it is not longer supported. After adjusting settings to suit eg changing the search engine to duckduckgo, I found it was quite a reasonable browser to use and worked on some websites I had had trouble with. It seems any website with maps will make most of my browser stall but Chrome worked ok with those.

If you go to the bottom of this page and click on 'Other Platforms':

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Did a snow leopard backup using SuperDuper to a toshiba portable SSD X10. Its 500GB so more than enough room for the HD of a 17 inch iMac 5,1. Running snow leopard from there at bootup and I cant say I notice any great difference than running it from the HD.

Next project - to see if I can install Mavericks on the iMac...un-supported hardware.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
. The 23 inch is smaller than I thought it would be. Perhaps it's the same size as the 20" but with increased resolution?

It's more likely that the frankly huge bezels of the acrylic ACDs are playing tricks on you. :)

20" Acr looks big
20" Alu looks tiny
23" Acr looks huge
23" Alu looks "normal" (lol)
30" Alu looks "zOMG"

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
6TB NAS added to network…Buffalo LinkStation.

Unlike a lot of eBay auctions this NAS came with the drives!

It's going to replace the other crap MacAlly drive casing I was using. All set up. *Note, the drive next to is not the crappy one I am referring to. That's my 1TB FW/eSATA drive enclosure and it works.

2021-03-26 13.32.46.jpg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Final one for this time period has arrived.

2021-03-26 13.52.35.jpg

This one came with original box and inside is supposed to be an HDMI to DVI adapter as well.

This weekend I have re-arrangments and I have two KVMs to integrate (as well as this new monitor).

My table can't get here fast enough as this crappy set up is driving me bonkers.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Had EyeTv 3.3.3 running under snow leopard but recently found an old usb stick amongst my clutter with EyeTv 3.6.5 on it.. did an install and found it is so much improved. The tv program guide lists so many more channels now. I could receive them before but the extra content in the guide permits a simple click to add scheduled recordings. I think conversions from an EyeTv file to a Mpeg4 works better too...but need to test that more.
Are you at a lucky spot on earth, where elgato eyeTV hardware (DVBT) is still working?
After in my place (Germany) DVBT2 took over, all my old DVBT-hardware and habits are lost and I am yet in hold for the next big thing to come ...

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
Final one for this time period has arrived.

View attachment 1749744

This one came with original box and inside is supposed to be an HDMI to DVI adapter as well.

This weekend I have re-arrangments and I have two KVMs to integrate (as well as this new monitor).

My table can't get here fast enough as this crappy set up is driving me bonkers.
Oh, the Eldorado of Aluminum Cinema Displays! - there are times I do regret to be a "Book"/SingleScreen guy.
But how in heaven the Cinema Display had been shrunk into the USPS Priority Mail Box ... ?

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
Are you at a lucky spot on earth, where elgato eyeTV hardware (DVBT) is still working?
After in my place (Germany) DVBT2 took over, all my old DVBT-hardware and habits are lost and I am yet in hold for the next big thing to come ...
Yes - New Zealand..sometimes its good to be 10 years behind the rest of the world...in some things
Thanks for the heads up...I guess its only a matter of time before some ..erm 'expert' decides to improved things and make older stuff not work.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
6TB NAS added to network…Buffalo LinkStation.

Unlike a lot of eBay auctions this NAS came with the drives!

It's going to replace the other crap MacAlly drive casing I was using. All set up. *Note, the drive next to is not the crappy one I am referring to. That's my 1TB FW/eSATA drive enclosure and it works.

View attachment 1749741
forgive my ignorance..but wots the little thing on top that looks like a mini-me mac pro..?

Reactions: CheesegraterMac

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK

That's very interesting. Over here in the UK, DVB-T is still in operation alongside DVB-T2 and will very likely remain so for the foreseeable future. Our switchover from analogue to digital broadcasting took long enough and had to be delayed by two years! Currently there's only 13 HD channels on the DVB-T2 line up. Most of our free-to-air DVB channels are standard definition and many of those suffer from low bit-rates and resolutions that are below even 720x576 (eg: 544x576.)

On a side note, I have a dedicated Win box with two DVB-T PCI cards and one DVB-T2 PCIe card which are controlled by open source software. It provides much more flexibility and options than my Humax PVR and it's unfettered by the DRM restrictions that have been imposed on all PVRs sold in the UK. :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
forgive my ignorance..but wots the little thing on top that looks like a mini-me mac pro..?
It's a Macally Firewire/eSATA/USB drive enclosure. The firmware limits it to 1TB drives and it's age limits it to lower-powered drives. I have a 1TB Western Digital Green in there which I use to store periodic dumps of my Camera Uploads folder from Dropbox.

I don't really trust it overmuch, so I don't store anything I can't afford to lose on it - but it's more dependable than the second unit I got which is USB and ethernet. It is however, useful for some situations where I need to temporarily store files before moving them elsewhere.

I got it off eBay, so I can only link to some other site offering it for sale: https://www.newegg.com/macally-g-s350sua/p/N82E16817347017

Note that this one is 2TB, mine is limited to a 1TB drive max.

EDIT: This one, below, is the problem child. I got it recently as a NAS, but the firmware is garbage so I used it as USB 2.0. Last weekend it decided to bomb on me during a copy operation and it took down all of my MacPro's USB ports. Fortunately, I was able to reset the ports and they all work now.

2021-03-26 17.35.17.jpg 2021-03-26 17.35.27.jpg 2021-03-26 17.35.42.jpg

But I have zero faith in this drive enclosure now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.