Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
So for those of us who updated to 15's - what did you do with all your old lightning accessories (cables, power blocks etc)?
Throw away?
Stored for ????
Sent to the EU?
Recycled and where?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Bought an adapter and continued using them.

I've never heard of a Lightning "power block" though. They're all either USB-A or USB-C.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Only had the one charging cable which is now tucked away in a drawer… everything else used USB C anyway

Khavik

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2023
I still have airpods and Magic Mouse with Lightning slot and also my wife uses 13 mini and old iPad mini so it will take a while to get rid off lightning

Reactions: Dust-by-Monday

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Still have them connected everywhere at home, work, kitchen, etc.

Our Airpods and Apple TV still uses lightning. I've repurposed my old iPhone as a work phone. And my wife, who likes to hold onto iPhones for 4+ years, just upgraded to the 14 Pro last year...so lightning will be staying for quite a while.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I still have uses for the lightning cables we have in our cars and house. Our son has an older iPad that utilizes lightning cable to charge. We have various AirPods and ATV remotes that still utilize lighting to charge, so we’ll still make use of those cables around the house.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Bought an adapter and continued using them.

I've never heard of a Lightning "power block" though. They're all either USB-A or USB-C.
Yup - meant the USB-A that came with older phones

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
I wonder what your "etc" is. Can you give us some more examples of the many, many lightning accessories you personally own and can't use anymore?

If you have a power block you still want to use, you can get the correct new cable. End of story.

Besides, like others have mentioned: I still need a lightning cable to charge my keyboard and trackpad. I will exchange these when they break and not a day earlier.

But in general it's great that Apple finally adopted USB-C in the iPhone after it was already in Macs and iPads.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
I wonder what your "etc" is. Can you give us some more examples of the many, many lightning accessories you personally own and can't use anymore?

If you have a power block you still want to use, you can get the correct new cable. End of story.

Besides, like others have mentioned: I still need a lightning cable to charge my keyboard and trackpad. I will exchange these when they break and not a day earlier.

But in general it's great that Apple finally adopted USB-C in the iPhone after it was already in Macs and iPads.
AirPods Gen 1, 3, 3
AirPods Pro Max
AirPods Pro v1
Apple TV remote
Magic Mouse
Magic Keyboard
Magic Trackpad
Family members with older iPhones

adam1080

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2012
I've been using USB-C since fast charging existed. My SO always stole and lost all the lightning cables anyway. Now I don't have to steal them back.

I have one lightning cable plugged into one of my LG 5k Ultrafine monitors to charge my Magic Mouse and keyboard.

I kept my 6" USB-C Lightning cable in my EDC pouch just in case for my AirPods 2 Pro, but I find myself using my Apple Watch Ultra 2 charger to charge my AirPods.

Really, for traveling I can prolly leave the lightning cables behind. I do often take my Magic Mouse, but I rarely use it on business trips.

Until there is a new mouse, keyboard, and I buy new AirPods(and the SO upgrades) Lighting still slightly exists.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Thanks to the EU, I need to bring a USB-C charger + Lightning charger when I go to work.

I used to be able to charge both my iPhone and AirPods with the lightning cable. Not anymore.

CS65

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2023
I need to have a good sort out, keep a couple for my 2017 iMac and AirPods and give any spare to my son who isn't likely to get an iPhone 15 anytime soon

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
I’m going to give them away in a local buy nothing group. Only AirPods use it and they are exclusively charged wirelessly. Oh, my keyboard is also lightning, and I have one cable plugged in under my monitor for it. That’ll stay.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
Thanks to the EU, I need to bring a USB-C charger + Lightning charger when I go to work.

I used to be able to charge both my iPhone and AirPods with the lightning cable. Not anymore.
That's okay, now you get the opportunity to replace all of your Apple devices to change to the new port!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Apple could have provided free USB-C to Lightning adapters. We can dream...

Reactions: canuckRus

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
The old cords that my cat had not chewed to death are packed away in a box.
Am hoping the new cords will with stand it better.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2018
France
I renewed this month all my devices:

- iPad 9 replaced by iPad Pro M2 for my parents. The old one went to my aunt.
- iPad Pro 4th gen replaced by iPad Pro M2 for me. Old one given to the neighbor.
- iPhone SE replaced by iPhone 15 used for work. Old one given to nephew.
- iPhone 11 Pro replaced by iPhone 15 Pro used by me. Old one given to father in law.
- AirPods Pro lightning replaced AirPods Pro USB-C. Old one sitting in a drawer.
- Apple Watch S5 Ceramic replaced by AWU2 for me. Old one sitting in a drawer.
- 2 Apple charging stations replaced by Twelve South HiRise 3 Deluxe

Other cables sitting in a drawer, or in multiple ones! I bought that double USB-C charger for me & my parents, actually.

I just I spent a lot of money for the glorious USB-C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.