Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmermaid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
I also am hoping that some of the things that appear to be missing from the iPad will be addressed by apps.

My #1 is being able to use it as a hands-free phone device in the car (attached somehow to the dash). Couldn't an app be developed that can communicate with your iPhone through bluetooth and serve this function?

What other holes could Apps fill?

I have an iMac 27", MacBook Pro, iPhone 3G, Apple TV, son has Mac Mini and spouse has iPod touch.

So maybe it is obvious that we HAVE to have one.

But I really see it as a useful device - I find the iPhone great in a pinch for internet stuff and reading email, but I'd much rather take a notepad-sized device to the gym, the coffee shop, in the car, on the sofa when I don't need to type alot or multi-task. It will be great for my daughter's toddler games as well. In fact, I will be looking for more and more great educational Apps as well as children's books that will be presented in a way more likely to be what her future looks like, as far as learning goes.

I also wonder if it was just really hard to get a sense of what the iPad experience is really like from the keynote and videos.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
USB nope, Camera nope, Firewire uhhh no, Removable battery nope, upgradable storage nope,

I think adding something like ilife and some Adobe pro apps would help.

like Touch versions of Photoshop and illustrator.

macmermaid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
The iPhone screen is too small for me to watch video while I am on the cardio machines. I often bring my MBP, but it is cumbersome and tricky to balance it on the machine.

There are also some great personal trainer Apps that would be easier to follow at the gym on a larger screen.

foyeburger

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2008
Well i might be wrong but I dont think it has a texting icon on it like the iphone so i know they make apps for the texting , I think texting apps would help for heavy texters.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
How about the ability to use it as a "Wacom" tablet if you purchase a stylus? Obviously they would also need to create an app for OS X to create a host but this has already been done for VNC apps + remote trackpads etc. I see a potential for it to be able to double as a drawing tablet.

macmermaid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
I just discovered the Air Video App - will be able to stream anything from my video library on a 500 GB hard drive attached to my iMac to the iPad. I just tested it on the iPhone and on the iPod touch and it worked like a charm! File association with iTunes not required!

macmermaid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
USB nope, Camera nope, Firewire uhhh no, Removable battery nope, upgradable storage nope,

I think adding something like ilife and some Adobe pro apps would help.

like Touch versions of Photoshop and illustrator.

With the ability to stream video (Air Video App) through the internet from your MBP, iMac or other computer, I think the need for lots of storage and attached storage drastically declines.

We've already had two iPods replaced under the battery replacement program. Sure it cost $75 but we got brand new iPods. If the battery was removable, you'd have to pay for a new battery anyway.

There are iLife Apps now for the iPad. And there are tons of Photo Apps that do what Photoshop does. Even without a camera on the iPad, I'd be willing to load some photos onto the iPad so I can use some of the Photo Apps on the larger screen. The touch interface is amazing for photo editing. I'm not familiar with illustrator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.