Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigAppleNYC123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
What if upon the release of IPP 10.5, Apple knocked $100-$250 off the price of the 9.7 IPP and kept it as an in between model?

I think Apple should have done this. I think the 9.7 specs at a slightly cheaper price point would have been very very successful.

I think canceling the 9.7 was a poor choice on apples part.

BigAppleNYC123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
Nope. Keeping the 9.7 would create more consumer confusion.

The 10.5 is basically the 9.7 replacement, pure and simple.

Trust me, there will be plenty of stock of the 9.7 at the discounts you mentioned.
iPhone 7 is iPhone 6S replacement.. your logic doesn't follow, because Apple regularly keeps products on while selling replacements. iPhone , iPad mini 3 and 4 immediately come to mind. This was clearly a conscious decision, and not a matter of "we always cancel"
[doublepost=1496848768][/doublepost]
Yes, the 9.7" Pro would look completely out of place between the 10.5" Pro and the 2017 iPad. Expensive, without 4GB of RAM - it's a compromise that IMO doesn't really make a lot of sense.
Has that ram been confirmed?

BigAppleNYC123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
We could sit and debate about anything and everything.

The Pro 9.7 is over...if you want one, then buy one.
I have a 9.7 pro. I'm waiting for OLED to upgrade.. probably will be a long while.
[doublepost=1496849119][/doublepost]
Yup, it's not even a purchasing option. Any you can will be old stock.
I bought a 9.7 pro with a Smart Keyboard for 550... was a good deal IMO

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
iPhone 7 is iPhone 6S replacement.. your logic doesn't follow, because Apple regularly keeps products on while selling replacements. iPhone, iPad mini 3 and 4 immediately come to mind. This was clearly a conscious decision, and not a matter of "we always cancel"
In the past, Apple didn't have a $329 budget iPad either. The last gen model for $100 less was pretty much the budget option.

Besides, there's always the refurb store for those who still want the 9.7 iPP. At this point in time though, doesn't make much sense to get one for just $100-200 less than the 10.5 Pro given iOS 11 limitations due to RAM. This isn't even really future-proofing anymore as the iOS 11 beta is already out. It's about features that will be missing pretty much the moment you buy one.

Also, it's easier to provide more options when the market is bigger as is the case with the iPhone.

BigAppleNYC123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
In the past, Apple didn't have a $329 budget iPad either. The last gen model for $100 less was pretty much the budget option.

Besides, there's always the refurb store for those who still want the 9.7 iPP. At this point in time though, doesn't make much sense to get one for just $100-200 less than the 10.5 Pro given iOS 11 limitations due to RAM. This isn't even really future-proofing anymore as the iOS 11 beta is already out. It's about features that will be missing pretty much the moment you get one.

Also, it's easier to provide more options when the market is bigger as is the case with the iPhone.

Even if 9.7 doesn't get every multitasking option, which appears to be the case but I don't think is certain (please feel free to disagree), I rarely multi task on 11 or 13 inch screens, and don't view that as a big deal.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Even if 9.7 doesn't get every multitasking option, which appears to be the case but I don't think is certain (please feel free to disagree), I rarely multi task on 11 or 13 inch screens, and don't view that as a big deal.
I agree on the multi-tasking on small screens. I actually do have split screen disabled on my 9.7 Pro 2048*1536. Too cramped. That said, 4GB RAM helps with other things (less Safari and app reloads) and not just with split screen.

I'll be getting the 12.9 Pro for the multi-tasking stuff. On the 12.9 Pro, split screen is almost like using 2x 9.7 iPads side by side. Probably would've made a different decision had the 10.5 Pro had the same resolution as the 12.9 Pro at 325 PPI. That would make split screen more like 2x iPad minis side by side.

And yeah, $550 with Smart Keyboard is a pretty nice discount on the older model. Pricing matters. I don't think the 9.7 Pro is a good option at $550 for device only. With a $150 accessory for the same price, then the cost-benefit analysis would change.

BigAppleNYC123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
I agree on the multi-tasking on small screens. I actually do have split screen disabled on my 9.7 Pro 2048*1536. Too cramped. That said, 4GB RAM helps with other things (less Safari and app reloads) and not just with split screen.

I'll be getting the 12.9 Pro for the multi-tasking stuff. On the 12.9 Pro, split screen is almost like using 2x 9.7 iPads side by side. Probably would've made a different decision had the 10.5 Pro had the same resolution as the 12.9 Pro at 325 PPI. That would make split screen more like 2x iPad minis side by side.

And yeah, $550 with Smart Keyboard is a pretty nice discount on the older model. Pricing matters. I don't think the 9.7 Pro is a good option at $550 for device only. With a $150 accessory for the same price, then the cost-benefit analysis would change.
That's fair. I don't really use the Smart Keyboard.. with tax the discount over new was like 30%. It's not the greatest bargain ever but prices now for used 9.7 are inexplicably higher than what I paid! I think my device was obtained through nefarious means..

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I have a 9.7 pro. I'm waiting for OLED to upgrade.. probably will be a long while.
[doublepost=1496849119][/doublepost]
I bought a 9.7 pro with a Smart Keyboard for 550... was a good deal IMO

A sensible plan...the 4 speakers and the better display (over the new iPad) sets you up nicely for the next major overhaul which will include OLED among other things.

Reactions: BigAppleNYC123

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Why would anyone want a 9.7 over the 10.5? the footprint and weight are practically identical

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The 9.7" size simply isn't competitive enough in today's tablet market - especially for something marketed as a "Pro" device.

Microsoft discontinued the 10" Surface Pro three years ago. The current Surface Pro is 12".

With multitasking features introduced in iOS 11 like having three windows open at the same time, it's a struggle to do that on a 9.7" display.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
No, you need three products per line, like Jobs said. Three is the perfect number, no more, and now that the mini will be gone it will truly be a simplified and ideal product line.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
I´m happy that Apple removed it, b/c I hope it means they learned something.

Taking the "iPad Air 3 with pen support" and naming it iPad Pro just to be able to charge extra for it was just pure greed. There was nothing PRO about that machine, it was the Air 3 that everyone was waiting for and Apple should have just called it that. It could have been "the best iPad Air ever" but instead it became "the not so good but really expensive small size iPad Pro".. :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The 9.7" size simply isn't competitive enough in today's tablet market - especially for something marketed as a "Pro" device.

Microsoft discontinued the 10" Surface Pro three years ago. The current Surface Pro is 12".

With multitasking features introduced in iOS 11 like having three windows open at the same time, it's a struggle to do that on a 9.7" display.

You make a lot of interesting points, especially being that the size as you said is a compelling up in today's market. What baffles me with Apple, is they only brought a 9.7 Pro on the market for barely over a year. It Makes me wonder why the 10.5 Pro (Lets assume it would have the 9.7 Pro specs.) could have been introduced in March 2016 and skipped the 9.7 Pro all together. Especially, being Apple released the 9.7 iPad budget iPad a year later.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
You make a lot of interesting points, especially being that the size as you said is a compelling up in today's market. What baffles me with Apple, is they only brought a 9.7 Pro on the market for barely over a year. It Makes me wonder why the 10.5 Pro (Lets assume it would have the 9.7 Pro specs.) could have been introduced in March 2016 and skipped the 9.7 Pro all together. Especially, being Apple released the 9.7 iPad budget iPad a year later.

My guess is, the 9.7" iPad Pro was planned at the same time as the 12.9". Traditionally, a new form factor brings in a big uptick in sales. Apple wanted consumers to associate the unique keyboard, pencil, and productivity features with a single new iPad Pro. The 12.9" was released first in order to focus that attention and drive higher margins.

The 9.7" Pro launch was contingent on the sales performance of the 12.9". If there was a big uptick in 12.9" sales and the $799 price was widely accepted, the 9.7" Pro would not be necessary in Spring 2016.

A narrow-bezel 10.5" iPad was not likely possible for mass manufacturing in 2016. For example, JDI didn't show samples of narrow-bezel displays until 2H'16.

Reactions: 44267547

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
It definitely has a lot to do with perception. Normal customers (people who don't look at forums like this one) don't care about RAM or True Tone displays or anything like that. But if something says "Pro" they start asking, "Well what's the difference between Pro and not Pro?" When you start telling them about the processor, RAM, screen, etc., but then say "But this other non-Pro model is the same size and shape and will also do most of that stuff for half the price", they will go with that every time.

Being able to now say that both Pro models are bigger, better, and more powerful than the non-Pro model is something the average customer will understand. I have thought for a long time that this is probably the way Apple would go in order to distance the iPad Pro line completely from the non-Pro line. They both have a reason for being, but before Monday, those reasons weren't different enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.