Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scibry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
My music collection was lost beyond recovery even with multiple backups. I now use SuperDuper! and I have it on DVD-R but the idea of digital music collections to me is now linked to fragility. Beware, it's corruptable on any medium :(

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
The trick is just to make sure that you have multiple backups on different physical storage devices. I have my iTunes collection backed up by having it on 2 iPods and a nightly backup to an external Hard Drive.

The chances of all 3 failing simultaneously are practically zero, so no matter what happens, I can always re-establish the original data and replace the failed device.

Of course to be totally foolproof you would need to have a backup in a seperate physical location, but it's not very practical for most

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
scibry said:
My music collection was lost beyond recovery even with multiple backups. I now use SuperDuper! and I have it on DVD-R but the idea of digital music collections to me is now linked to fragility. Beware, it's corruptable on any medium :(

How'd you lose it all?

I back everything up to DVD-R's (130 gig library = a lot of DVD's)

I just throw em in a dvd book, and put them away, all discs burned twice of course, and stored in seperate places.

also, I created a smart playlist in iTunes, to keep track of everything I add after a certain date, so I can backup to discs easily..

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I'd go nuts if I lost it all. I've been adding so much lately. Organising, tagging, album art etc.

You had multiple back ups yet all of it was lost? :eek:

*runs back up schedule*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.