Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Consider this...we've seen the early image prices of $999 and $2299 for them. It could be they are dropping prices so they can empty inventory of them before Macworld San Francisco in January. I realize this may not be what most people want. But the pictures show no change in form factor. It is entirely possible it is just lower prices till Macworld, and then they upgrade.
It has been done before. Remember the prices dropped on Wallstreets shortly before Macworld. It could be something similar. With so many conflicting rumors, the only thing we know is that Apple is planning an update at some point in the future.

And remember this...Apple did say all new Macs next year won't boot into 9. Wouldn't it be difficult to implement this on an existing model or even one introduced in the next 7 weeks? They said nothing about implementing this early! Or even making a new model of something they only introduced 7 weeks earlier? Because they would need to change the ROM on the motherboard. That's not something I've ever seen them do in a period as short as 7 weeks. Sure Apple updated the Powerbook Titanium from CD-RW to combo drive in 2 months, but that's an easy update that just required something as simple as build to order parts. But ROM for doing this change is right on the motherboard. I'd think they'd want to update the entire lineup at once to implement this boot procedure.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I considered this... but i came to the following conclusion: One, a 999 laptop is signficant, and if they were lowering the price just to clear out inventory they would plan on raising it again probably, and that might not go over well.

Second of all, look at the Apple products due for a possible update/introduction: PowerBook, iBook, Display line, iMac, xServe, xRaid, eMac, iPhone... Now we KNOW not all of these will be updated/introduced any time soon... but atleast some of them will... do you think all of those things will be introduced at one event (namely MWSF?)? it seems like SOMETHING needs to be updated before then... Especially with the holiday buying season being now.

mr evil brkfast

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Dark days indeed

Even with a price drop, if Apple does not release any new hardware this fall... the quarter will be very ugly for them. Plus pretty much every model (x-serve, imac; emac; ibook and powerbook) is due for a speed bump.

I really think that these are dark days for Apple. Except for the ibook... upgrades are probably being held off because Apple has no options for significant hardware upgrades.

I am not sure what Steve has been excited about that is coming out this year -after the imac of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.