Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by MrMacman
Um... I JUST read a story on how they booted him.
They are going with the 'interns' for now out.
NO MORE DELL DUDE!!!!
YeS!!!

Yes, except the "Dull Dude" made an appearance in the latest intern ad! We'll never be totally rid of him! :mad:

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Steven still made an appearance in the last commercial, but he'll be gone for good soon. He wants to do "serious films" now. The interns aren't much better. At least they don't have any annoying catch phases. Yet.

On another note, anyone else notice that EVERYONE is copying the Switch Ads? I know the whole, "people talking against a white background" thing is popular. But EVERYBODY is doing it now.

Wouldn't it be funny if Apple had the Dell Dude in one of their next "Celebrity" Switch Ads?

"Dude, you're getting a Mac".

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Some of you guys make this way too personal. Sheesh! Dell delivered a pretty good ad campaign and came up with someone perfect to do it. The bad thing for him is that he probably won't go anywhere major in the future because he's probably typecast now everywhere as the Dell surfer guy.

There is no arguing that Dell has excellent management to execute so well. Insiders in the past have always said that Apple has almost everything needed to become even a bigger force in the industry but they lack execution. They've gotten better with Jobs at the helm but I think they've got room to grow as soon as the cpu mess is straightened out.

As for him showing up in the switch campaign I'm sure there's a clause in his contract for him that might keep him from doing something that is a conflict of interest with Dell. I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple come up with someone with a similar character and personality to give the impression of it possibly being him. It'd probably only be shown at a Macworld show though. :)

TheFink

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by Cappy
Some of you guys make this way too personal. Sheesh! Dell delivered a pretty good ad campaign and came up with someone perfect to do it. The bad thing for him is that he probably won't go anywhere major in the future because he's probably typecast now everywhere as the Dell surfer guy.

There is no arguing that Dell has excellent management to execute so well. Insiders in the past have always said that Apple has almost everything needed to become even a bigger force in the industry but they lack execution. They've gotten better with Jobs at the helm but I think they've got room to grow as soon as the cpu mess is straightened out.

As for him showing up in the switch campaign I'm sure there's a clause in his contract for him that might keep him from doing something that is a conflict of interest with Dell. I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple come up with someone with a similar character and personality to give the impression of it possibly being him. It'd probably only be shown at a Macworld show though. :)

The Dell Dude was annoying since day one. I don't know where these stories come up with this crap saying he was such a hit. I hope he's type cast and never gets a job acting.

I wouldn't be surprised if you see him sleeping under a park bench in New York. I'll be the first to urinate on him.

Omen88

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2002
Flanders (Belgium)
Originally posted by TheFink

The Dell Dude was annoying since day one. I don't know where these stories come up with this crap saying he was such a hit. I hope he's type cast and never gets a job acting.

I wouldn't be surprised if you see him sleeping under a park bench in New York. I'll be the first to urinate on him.

I've never seen this crap (thank god), but as I hate practicly every kind of commercial, I'm with you. These actors deserve nothing better!

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I wouldn't really care, but he kinda annoys me. He doesn't annoy me, the fact that he gets rich for doing next to nothing annoys me.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Ouch, guys!

Go easy on the actor remarks. Unless you have experience acting you have no basis to make those claims.

It's much more difficult than it looks, and requires a great deal of preparation. Commercial acting may be on the bottom rung of the totem pole, but it's the way many young actors pay the bills while working their way up to larger, more difficult roles.

I, too, found "Steven, the Dell Dude" to be very annoying, but if I would blame anyone it would be Dell's marketing staff who invented him and directed the actor to act in that manner.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
Originally posted by Cappy

ever notice how the "e" in the del logo is the same as the enron logo? :)

why urinate on him when we could urinate on his writers. or the guys who hired him. if he does end up on the street I'll be the first to give him money, because i feel so bad for him.

Who wants to bet he uses his Dell as a doorstop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.