Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
We always thought about iPad Mini, iPad, and even Mac taking calls... But what if the iWatch becomes the new "phone/text/siri" tool and the iPhone becomes more of a media oriented dual device bridging the gap of the current setup and creating new categories within the gaps of the current categories?

What I mean looks something like this:

Size ----->
----- iPhone ----- iPadM ----- MacBookAir
iWatch ----- iPhone6 ----- iPadPro ----- MacBookRetina

Assuming the iWatch could one day make calls independently somehow with a new change in rules at phone companies allowing you to have a 3G enabled or sim-less phone add on thing to have two or more devices share a phone number, now you would have two categories of device and the iWatch truly being on the go with calls, NFC and Siri.

So with the new setup the iWatch would do more of the things iPhone used to do and the new iPhone phablet does more of the things the iPad Mini might do, and for the full on pure tablet experience you can jump to a 13inch iPad Pro lol as they bridge the gap between MacBookAir and iPad.

Since the dawn of touch screen technology we have been moving to making screen devices of every size and it looks like this:

iWatch ----- iPod Nano ----- iPhone3.5/4/4.7/5.5 ----- iPad Mini ----- iPad ----- MBPAir11 ----- iPad Pro ----- MBA/P13 ----- MBP15 ----- (RIP 17inch MBP) ----- iMac 21/27 ------ Mac with 27inch Monitor or higher ----- Mac with HD Projector

What if we shift it around at the bottom and redefine the categories a bit in a way that is even more effective or useful. Or Maybe just having more options to decide how we like to use combinations of devices in the Apple line up.

It would be a cool idea but I don't know if it would be possible without having the iPhone as a base for the watch to connect from.

iphone_6_sizes_1000.jpg

ipad_pro_upright_fake_mockup_hero_fixed.jpg

ScreenComparison640.jpg

Last edited:

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I have been wondering about this line of possibility for some time. At this point it seems like a reasonable bet that no new 4" iPhone will be released this year, which means that iPhones with "2014 technology" (A8 chip) would have strictly larger display sizes than in previous years.

I think that Apple is going to replace the one-handed use device (iPhone 5 series) with two types of devices: the quick notifications and one-handed use device (the "iWatch"), and the pocketability device (the iPhone 6/"Air"). I agree with you that a larger iPhone would have a greater focus on media and other tasks that would benefit from a larger display. I don't see a 5.5" iPhone running iPad apps since the internal split-screen feature in the iOS 8 SDK features an iPhone-style interface in the 1/2-size layout. In addition to the layouts, the phone capabilities and aspect ratio differences will continue the distinction between iPhones and iPads (although it would be smaller than before). I expect Continuity features to be present between the iPhone and the iWatch allowing the former to stay in a pocket or in a bag more often than before.

I suspect that it is no coincidence that (if the rumors are true) the larger screen iPhones and the iWatch are being announced at the same event, as opposed to, say, the iWatch coming out a year after a larger iPhone. Do you agree?

As for the iPads, a 13" iPad "Pro" overlaps in display size and almost certainly in price (depending on the configurations) with part of the MacBook lineup, so at this size range I believe the user interface is the key. One would pick one or the other primarily depending on whether a pointing device (MacBook Air or rumored 12" MacBook) or a touchscreen (iPad Pro) interface is desired.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I suspect that it is no coincidence that (if the rumors are true) the larger screen iPhones and the iWatch are being announced at the same event, as opposed to, say, the iWatch coming out a year after a larger iPhone. Do you agree?

Oh absolutely. Guaranteed the iWatch will be an accessory to iPhone and have NFC and will deeply integrate with each other. And no its not a coincidence.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I am not sure I am following completely what you are saying in this incredibly drawn out post lol...

You are saying that someday the iWatch could work as a stand alone product as well as in tandem with another idevice?

I don't see why not. But I also don't see a huge draw to making phone calls and getting internet connectivity on just the watch. Stuff like weather and such, sure, but full blown apps and internet? Screen size is just too small.

Apple may blow me away. I don't know. I am just not terribly excited for this product. It would literally need to have something that nobody has even imagined or discussed when talking about the "iWatch" for me to want it.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I would love this. As there are definite times I would love to go out and leave the phone behind but still be able to communicate with people or listen to my music/podcasts.

Think of going to the pool/beach, going to the gym, playing sports. Right now its cumbersome, you either have the in your pocket sloshing around, or you have to leave it in the car or find somewhere safe to put it while you do those activities and be out of touch while you do. Having the watch be the center means I can continue those activities while still being connected without having to worry about my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.