Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Texas
I have a question. What is going to happen if Apple's next iPhone update breaks all of the current hacks and implements the same form of encryption as the touch, which has yet to be broken? Or iss the reason that the touch hasn't been hacked simply due to the fact that there isn't as much hype or interest in doing so as there is with the iPhone?

I'm only asking because I am considering returning my touch to get and iPhone, since even without AT&T service it seems to destroy the touch in every aspect except storage, and the only reason I want to get the iPhone/touch is to more or less use it as a customizable PDA device.

Thanks for your input.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
I have a question. What is going to happen if Apple's next iPhone update breaks all of the current hacks and implements the same form of encryption as the touch, which has yet to be broken? Or iss the reason that the touch hasn't been hacked simply due to the fact that there isn't as much hype or interest in doing so as there is with the iPhone?

I'm only asking because I am considering returning my touch to get and iPhone, since even without AT&T service it seems to destroy the touch in every aspect except storage, and the only reason I want to get the iPhone/touch is to more or less use it as a customizable PDA device.

Thanks for your input.

please search, there are like 4 threads in the iPhone sub forum on this topic. :(

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Apple is on record saying they dont mind people hacking. They will also not try to thwart it in any way, and will not promote it.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Apple is on record saying they dont mind people hacking. They will also not try to thwart it in any way, and will not promote it.

And then the next day they retracted that statement, to say that the new update will most likely break the hacks...but that doesnt mean we wont be able to break them right back

hevaKmaI

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
And then the next day they retracted that statement, to say that the new update will most likely break the hacks...but that doesnt mean we wont be able to break them right back

Right but this is likely because the way people go into the iphone was using a security hole that Apple probably intends to patch. When they realized this, they probably added that to their statement because they knew that a different way in would have to be found.

rmh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
Texas
I apologize, but all the threads I found were dealing with the unlock, which isn't an issue for me, seeing as I'm only interested in using it for the iPod/wifi/PDA function (I'm no Verizon, so no SIM). I was just wondering if there would be more of a desire to re-hack the iPhone if it was in fact updated to stop hacks. I suppose the answer is yes, I'm just trying to justify my decision, because I dont want to get the iPhone and then have Apple screw everyone over, then I'm stuck with a worthless phone.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
Apple said that they won't actively try to thwart the ongoing hacking effort. HOWEVER, they did say that future updates will MOST LIKELY break the current hacks. According to them this isn't intentional, but they'll most likely be changing how different programs and applications communicate with each other, which breaks the current way people are hacking the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.