Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
If I went out tomorrow and bought a new 6S or SE, what version of iOS would come on that phone?

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
In my experience, it's a total crapshoot. It depends on luck of the draw and how long the phone was on the shelf, but there's a very good chance it would have some version of iOS 11 installed. I recently bought an iPod Touch, which is a very slow mover, and it came with 10.3.2 installed. I would guess a 6S would definitely have some version of 11, but you really never know until you activate the phone.

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
I bought 2 iPhones SE two weeks ago. Both of them came on 11.0.3. It depends on the production week, visible through the 4th and 5th letter of the serial number (visible on the back of the box). My SEs had VK. My iPhone X came on 11.1.1, with VP. VQ/VR should be on 11.1.2.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
lol - umm, yeah....that about covers it..
[doublepost=1515267227][/doublepost]

Where'd you buy them?
I'd imagine the retailer one chooses might matter greatly here..

If you buy at an Apple store, I bet the chances are high that you get some flavor of iOS 11. I expect that their inventory management is good enough that the odds of getting one that's got iOS 10.x are low.

Odds might be much better at some third party vendor like Best Buy.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
If you buy at an Apple store, I bet the chances are high that you get some flavor of iOS 11. I expect that their inventory management is good enough that the odds of getting one that's got iOS 10.x are low.

Odds might be much better at some third party vendor like Best Buy.

Yes. Fully agree

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yes. Fully agree

To me, the real question would be whether to go ahead with what's basically the purchase of a 6S or wait several months on the chance that Apple might update the venerable (in two senses of that word) SE this spring - but that's a different topic and a different thread.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
To me, the real question would be whether to go ahead with what's basically the purchase of a 6S or wait several months on the chance that Apple might update the venerable (in two senses of that word) SE this spring - but that's a different topic and a different thread.

I would wanna wait and see at this point

Unless you got in on a killer $100 some dollar SE deal then it’d make for a fine buy and a backup phone

Reactions: rui no onna

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
Where'd you buy them?
I'd imagine the retailer one chooses might matter greatly here..
I bought them in a shop of a large european chain. Two friends of mine bought iPhones this week from the Apple Store, one X and one SE. They both came on 11.2.1 out of the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.