Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gutezza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my phone to get a better camera. I use photos for reference for artwork (paintings and drawings mostly). When I know I'm using it for a reference it takes decent enough photos to capture detail. It's when it's unplanned that it's falling short and frustrating to work from, especially in low light. I know the 14pro has the top of the line most amazing camera but I choke on the price tag. I can afford it, but walking around with 1k in my pocket just makes me nervous. I'm considering a refurbished 13 pro for $800. Is there a significant difference in the quality of the photos? Are there other cheaper older models that take great photos in any kind of light?

Reactions: Mikeyt1818

Mikeyt1818

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2020
Coral Springs, Florida
I traded my 2020 SE for a 2022. After a couple of months I went for the 13 Pro but it was a little too big for me especially as I need a phone for one handed use. I will say that the camera was Amazing. We took such nice pis on a nature hike and at the Miami Zoo. However it slipped out of my hand a few times so I gave it to my wife and I grabbed the 13 mini. Granted the camera is not as good but it is much better than the SE camera imo. And the size is in my sweet spot. Sadly I believe this will be the last 5.4 inch screen that Apple releases so I plan to hold it for years to come. But if you can handle going from a compact phone to a midsize I think you will be happy with a refurb 13 pro. Good luck!

Reactions: Splitrail

gutezza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
Thanks for sharing your experience. If the 13 mini is still at Apple store then I’ll try the camera out and compare to what I have. Maybe that’s the way to go since I do like the smaller phone.

Reactions: lostPod

MyPhone99

macrumors regular
May 26, 2019
Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my phone to get a better camera. I use photos for reference for artwork (paintings and drawings mostly). When I know I'm using it for a reference it takes decent enough photos to capture detail. It's when it's unplanned that it's falling short and frustrating to work from, especially in low light. I know the 14pro has the top of the line most amazing camera but I choke on the price tag. I can afford it, but walking around with 1k in my pocket just makes me nervous. I'm considering a refurbished 13 pro for $800. Is there a significant difference in the quality of the photos? Are there other cheaper older models that take great photos in any kind of light?
please mention your current model so that we can advise you better. if you are using 7/8 then regular 13 should be a great upgrade but if you are from 11/12 then 13 pro is least best thing for you to see any camera improvements

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
If you are upgrading purely for the camera, I’d advise you to pick up either a 13 or 14 Pro.

gutezza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
please mention your current model so that we can advise you better. if you are using 7/8 then regular 13 should be a great upgrade but if you are from 11/12 then 13 pro is least best thing for you to see any camera improvements
its a SE 2020, like my post indicates. Do you mean model number?

gutezza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
If you are upgrading purely for the camera, I’d advise you to pick up either a 13 or 14 Pro.
Good point. maybe I’ll try out the 14pro and see how the form feels and return it and get a 13 mini if the size ends up being more annoying than the value of the camera. If the size isn’t an issue then I can still return and get the cheaper 13pro.

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
Even though the 13/14 pro look attractive, if you are not interested in having an $800-$1000 item in your pocket, you may want to purchase a 2022 SE from the Apple store and see if meets your needs, if not return it within 14 days, and buy a 13 mini, try it out and return it within 14 days if it isn’t good enough, then move to one of the pro iPhones.

Doing it that way you’d have a methodical logical way of trying out the new phones in going from least to more expensive.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Good point. maybe I’ll try out the 14pro and see how the form feels and return it and get a 13 mini if the size ends up being more annoying than the value of the camera. If the size isn’t an issue then I can still return and get the cheaper 13pro.
I think a refurb 13 Pro or 13 Mini would fit the bill. Both work great in low light situations.

gutezza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
Now thinking that I’d like to play around with the Raw photo. Sometimes I’ll take a photo of a painting I’d like to reference or study their use of color and the phone brightens the image which normally is great but annoying in this instance.

Thanks all for helping me clarify all my considerations. :) it’s a big investment so I want to be sure I’m making the right choice.

clueless88

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2020
It looks like you could use 3rd party apps for RAW format with an iPhone 13 or 13 mini. Otherwise you will have to go with 12 pro, 13 pro, or 14 pro (and max equivalents). You should be able to pick up a nice used UNLOCKED 13 pro for less than $700 on eBay. If a new battery is needed down the line, Apple stores charges $69 plus tax installed.

gutezza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
7083CAA2-B144-46CD-A9D2-2AA936EC33B1.jpeg
Decided on the 13 mini and am happy with the quality of the camera. Thanks all for your input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.