Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN
I am not a programer, but I have used Terminal to do many simple things in the past, mostly paste in a command someone else has written, trusting the source. I have used Terminal in the past to modify a fusion drive. There are much fewer ways to change the interface, etc, than used to be. I want to make a "launch-time" Script by my instructions. I have made many application scripts using Script Editor, but never in terminal.

Are the instructions in the screen shot referring to Script Editor app, or is there a document editor in Terminal I have never used?

Hope from the article I added, you can tell what document editor they are talking about. I tried the terminal command and it does speed up TM backups, but as the article describes, rebooting erases the terminal command. So I am to create a permanent script app I think.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 6.35.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 6.35.06 PM.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Massively speed up Time Machine backups page 2.pdf
    167.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Massively speed up Time Machine backups page 3.pdf
    167.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Massively speed up Time Machine backups page 4.pdf
    167.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Massively speed up Time Machine backups page 5.pdf
    167.8 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I think it wants you to use something like "nano" to create a text file, but without further context I have no idea why you wouldn't just use a desktop app like TextEdit instead.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Are the instructions in the screen shot referring to Script Editor app, or is there a document editor in Terminal I have never used?
It's explained on that very page https://www.mackungfu.org/massively-speed-up-time-capsule-time-machine-backups

in the Terminal window, paste in the following single line…
Code:
sudo nano /Library/LaunchDaemons/nothrottle.plist

Instead of “You’ll open a document editor in the Terminal window”, they probably should have said “It will open a document editor in the Terminal window. “

Reactions: splifingate

blackxacto

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Middle TN

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
there are a couple, like nano, pico, vim
you can also use the text editor from there by the "open" command

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
forgot to mention, that you could also write it directly in the terminal 🤓

the method would be:
cat > filenameyouwant

then type, or paste in the text

when done, hit CTRL+D

to view, or alter the text:
open filename
but of course you could do that from Finder if that's more comfortable for you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.