Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
There are certain events where I would like to know, at a glance, how many days from the current date until the event. I don’t need to know anything more granular than the number of days for my purposes, but it’s fine if it has the hours and/hour minutes as well.
Think of events like an anniversary, a holiday, closing date for a home, a wedding day, an annual sale like the Steam Summer sale ( which I missed ) or Amazon Prime Day ( I also missed ), something that is important enough to you that you want the “day until event” value readily available.
I’ve found a few candidates , but not enough reviews or other feedback to distinguish any one of them as “the right one”
From the app store
  • Moment
  • Countdowns
  • Countdown timer Plus
Just to clarify, here is an example
  • You are getting married in 61 days.
  • You set up countdown timer for getting married in the app
  • In the macOS menu bar, you see the number “61”.
  • Every day that number decrements by 1.

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
What would happen if you had five such events? Wouldn't the menu bar start to get crowded (unless it just displays the one occurring soonest)? How much advance notice would you need? I'm currently using a great little app called In Your Face (it is on the Mac App Store) that ties to the macOS Calendar app and when the event arrives you know it because the whole screen goes dark, with the event displayed in the middle. You can just click it to dismiss it.

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
I’m looking for a countdown times for special events that I need to be reminded about days or even months before they happen.

For example, a wedding anniversary. You probably want to get a present for it, make dinner or other reservations, etc weeks before the event.

A countdown timer will show you how much time you have to get all that done!

For it might be something, like a house closing, that you want to know many days are left until you finally get out of that cramped apartment and into a nice roomy home!

Countdowns is working really well
so far. it’s a bit pricey at $20 to own. But it get the job done!

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
I understand what you are looking for, and great you have found an app that works well. Price will likely be linked to expected size of market and forecast sales.

Personally I use either calendar apps with reminders specific days in advance, or use a to-do app with scheduled milestones and notifications if a bigger project to be organised/tracked

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.