Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
I've been searching ebay determined to buy a 867mhz model 12 inch powerbook (for traveling) however the prices seem to be all over the place. What do you think is a reasonable price for one? I don't want to pay too much (obviously) Also, is there some website that list the current going price or value of used apple computers? Thanks

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
Depends what you want to do with it. Does RAM matter? Does it have to be a Superdrive, or can it be a Combo? For that price, I think around 650 (give or take) would be reasonable. But as you know, that can vary depending on other things. I might be wrong, but look at the result of this auction for you to have an idea. And if you don't need Superdrive, consider that the price will be a little bit lower. Hope this helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-12-Powerb...5QQihZ004QQcategoryZ14909QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Thanks eidrunner247, the amount of RAM doesn't matter, I'm guessing 256 to 512 would be fine. Doesn't need superdrive or a big hd or anything special. And the 867mhz processor is fine for me since this would be a back up or travel computer. Btw, if anyone has one for sale, I'd be interested in what you have to offer :)

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
And just another thing to keep in mind. Computers generally go for more or less depending on the seller. If the seller has less than 15 feedback then I feel they go for less, but there can also be more risk with that... I try to go from people that have feedback with more than 50, (or around there).

oh Shasta - didn't now that was your auction. I wasn't trying to take a swipe at you with my post! (but in general, that's my rule of thumb)

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Shasta, is that your auction? ;) While it would be nice to have an unlimited budget (lol), mine is in the $400 to $500 range.

Shasta

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2005
Upstate/Central NY
ceruleanventure said:
Shasta, is that your auction? ;) While it would be nice to have an unlimited budget (lol), mine is in the $400 to $500 range.

Yep, so bid high and bid often!
Daddy needs a new macbook

haha

Do it.

Shasta

ceruleanventure

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
Yah, I figured $400 is a bit low, part of that is my mac newbieness and the other part is the possibility that a powerbook could cost that much due to small defect or something. I have seen some ebay auctions that ended with that amount because of something as fixable as stickers on the lid or a missing foot. Oh well, lol. Anyone who is selling, feel free to post :) And if anyone has any more advice, the same goes for you too :)

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
l3lue said:

Of course, no one on these boards is likely to give you the amount they say on that site. Though if there is anyone who would, I would be fairly interested in selling them the PowerBook in my sig. It's in great shape and has just about 2 years left on AppleCare!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.