Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Is there software you can use to control the headless server/computer remotely? I would like to get GUI instead of terminal SSH. I heard of things like VNC I am just not sure how effective they are. Last time I tried it , it moved in slow motion.
I simply use Mac's built in Screen Sharing to remote to the server in the basement when im on my home network and update the OS when needed or move files around. I don't have any need to access it remotely off my home network. if I needed to access from outside my network, I have used TeamViewer before.

I use Mac's file sharing to remotely load the external drives connected to it on my main Mac mini M2 and use a SyncFolders Pro to sync the drives over my network to perform backups.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
using Mac OS Screensharing from another Mac is the easiest way.
I used to run a Mac mini 2009 and later a 2018 as iTunes server and then access them with screen sharing from a Mac Pro and later a hackintos.

Screensharing to another mac only tends to be slow if the target mac has no connncted monitor that is powered as without it then the GPU doesn’t function fully so the screen gets slow when controlling the target machine.

can be solved easily with a HDMI headless dongle.

I use a fit 4K hdmi dongle previously that sit on the HDMI port of the mini and it see’s it as a display and enables all of the GPU and Screensharing becomes smooth.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
can be solved easily with a HDMI headless dongle.

I use a fit 4K hdmi dongle previously that sit on the HDMI port of the mini and it see’s it as a display and enables all of the GPU and Screensharing becomes smooth.

I have never heard of this before. Is it the same for all operating systems or just Macs?

I always imagine the computer without a connect screen will not fully boot, I know about headless computer, but I thought you should configure to work as a headless computer telling it there is nothing attached to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.