Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A.Chakery

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Hello,

Today I noticed in Activity monitor that "acwebsecagent" is constantly sending and receiving packets , plus in last 24 hours it has used 600 MB of bandwidth.

Would you please tell me what it is and what does it do ?

Thank you

A.Chakery

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
Vienna, Austria
You appear to have installed Cisco AnyConnect VPN and one of its processes is giving you a problem.
Since VPN software is used as an internet security layer(or business communication) web packet traffic is totally normal and expected for this software.
For more about VPN's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network
Thank you very much for your reply,

This is where the problem starts ...
First because I removed this application
and second because I am not using this app so why would it download 600 MBs (of what I don't know) and upload 300 MB ?

This is not really normal because of the fact that even after removing this app .. this file is still sending and receiving data....

What would you recommend ?

thank you again.

Reactions: rmpbklyn

Kissmyne

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2015
Go to Activity Monitor, Click on the process, click on the "i" button on the Activity Monitor Toolbar, this will give you an overview of the process, click on Open Files and Ports. Here it will show you the location of each of the files running under that process(including their location), find, delete the files and restart.

traffael

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2018
You appear to have installed Cisco AnyConnect VPN and one of its processes is giving you a problem.
Since VPN software is used as an internet security layer(or business communication) web packet traffic is totally normal and expected for this software.
For more about VPN's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network
Thanks, after deleting AnyConnect the process didn't show up anymore and my fan stopped cooling

bolloxim

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2020
rather than delete everything or move everything .. just modify the plist

Code:
sudo chmod 777 /Library/LaunchAgents/com.cisco.anyconnect.gui.plist
open -e /Library/LaunchAgents/com.cisco.anyconnect.gui.plist

modify the RunAtLoad to false from true
modify the gui_keepalive to false from true

save the file

reboot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.