Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kissmo

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Under System preferences - Displays - there is a new slider Ambient Light Compensation.

Do you know what is it supposed to be doing?
I haven't seen that slider ever.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The extra setting, a checkbox not a slider, is present on my 13" rMBP. I don't think it's been implemented yet.
Displays Prefereces 10.11.png

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
It changes the hue much like f.lux. If you're in a room with incandescent ("orangish") bulbs, or any area without sunlight (which has more of a "blue" tone), turn it on. Let it be for a few minutes as it slowly changes the hue. Then, after a few minutes or so, go back and uncheck it. You should see a difference so long as you're in an area where it can match the ambient light correctly.

Last edited:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
That checkbox does not exist on my screen.
I just installed 10.11 on my 2008 MacBook Air and you're right, the checkbox isn't there either.
It changes the hue much like f.lux. If you're in a room with incessant ("orangish") bulbs, or any area without sunlight (which has more of a "blue" tone), turn it on. Let it be for a few minutes as it slowly changes the hue. Then, after a few minutes or so, go back and uncheck it. You should see a difference so long as you're in an area where it can match the ambient light correctly.
So you're saying it's already implemented? I'll leave it on for a while then.

Naio

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2015
It changes the hue much like f.lux. If you're in a room with incessant ("orangish") bulbs, or any area without sunlight (which has more of a "blue" tone), turn it on. Let it be for a few minutes as it slowly changes the hue. Then, after a few minutes or so, go back and uncheck it. You should see a difference so long as you're in an area where it can match the ambient light correctly.

Nice!

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
I just installed 10.11 on my 2008 MacBook Air and you're right, the checkbox isn't there either.

So you're saying it's already implemented? I'll leave it on for a while then.

fantastic news if true!

It's hard to tell to what degree the hues change. However, f.lux changes based upon time of day to match the sunrise or sunset, in addition to the ambient lighting (which you have to set manually in f.lux), in order to assist with your circadian rhythm.

I'm not so sure this would be a f.lux replacement, as it appears to only match your display to ambient lighting in order to give you the best color representation that it can. f.lux's entire reason for existence is the opposite of this.

Apple's ambient lighting: seems to be to ensure proper display of colors / color perception.
f.lux: assists your circadian rhythm by modifying the display hues to simulate day or night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.