Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4ppleg1rl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
I keep reading about it but I don't really understand what it is or what's changed from Sierra? How can I utilise it best with my iPhone?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Read up on what a file system is on Wikipedia. Your iPhone already runs APFS, and you will never really have a need to 'utilize' it when you dont even know what a file system is.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Here's a good overview: https://www.imore.com/apfs

There's nothing to "utilize." There are no user-facing features that you'll notice on a day-to-day basis, except when you duplicate files, which should be instantaneous (See the article.) Eventually, it should give us some more powerful features in Time Machine.

Basically, APFS is just a more modern filesystem that is better suited for SSDs and is less prone to data loss. It's not something the average user should think or worry about.

4ppleg1rl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
Read up on what a file system is on Wikipedia. Your iPhone already runs APFS, and you will never really have a need to 'utilize' it when you dont even know what a file system is.

Wow thanks for your informative reply. I created the thread because I don't know what it is and that is why I asked. So unless you're going to give me answers, why don't you make way for someone who will? All I wanted to know was what it was

Jeez.
[doublepost=1506542002][/doublepost]
Here's a good overview: https://www.imore.com/apfs

There's nothing to "utilize." There are no user-facing features that you'll notice on a day-to-day basis, except when you duplicate files, which should be instantaneous (See the article.) Eventually, it should give us some more powerful features in Time Machine.

Basically, APFS is just a more modern filesystem that is better suited for SSDs and is less prone to data loss. It's not something the average user should think or worry about.

Thank you!

Reactions: Cougarcat

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
It's a change to the "foundation" of the OS, but what you may notice is everything runs a little faster when the phone is reading or writing to stored data. AFPS is also more reliable (data loss is more rare). And backups should operate much more efficiently now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.