Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
I know I could just call Apple directly on this question, but thought I'd ask here too.

Let's suppose I do go ahead and place an order today at the Apple Store, for the current 15" TiBook, and I receive it a few days from now (or whatever the shipping time ends up being). Now further suppose that a week or so later, Apple announces an updated PowerBook and starts taking orders for those.

I've seen it suggested, in various threads over the past few months, that if such a product announcement happens within 30 days of the original purchase, Apple offers customers the opportunity to ship the "old" computer back and update to the newer model, but this sounds extremely unlikely to me. If I read Apple's Sales and Refunds policy, the only words that sound remotely close to this are those that discuss the ten business day window for returns due to "[dissatisfaction] with your Apple purchase of a pre-built product".

Can anyone comment on this?

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
you get what you pay for. it's as simple as that. if you want a 15" TiBook...then get it. if you want the rumored updated 15" powerbook, then wait...just remember...you can play the waiting game forever.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Re: What is Apple's policy about updates?

Originally posted by Lyle
I've seen it suggested, in various threads over the past few months, that if such a product announcement happens within 30 days of the original purchase, Apple offers customers the opportunity to ship the "old" computer back and update to the newer model, but this sounds extremely unlikely to me. If I read Apple's Sales and Refunds policy, the only words that sound remotely close to this are those that discuss the ten business day window for returns due to "[dissatisfaction] with your Apple purchase of a pre-built product".

Can anyone comment on this?

anyone who says you have thirty days after a purchase to exchange it for an upgrade is lying to you. These are things you need to know
1. If u buy a product , the ten day thing is true but you may face restocking fees or you may just get some money back because of the update... I have seen very few threads about people trading opened products for brand new models
2. Don't expect for this to be easy, your gonna have to play hardball to get anything from apple when you've already bought a product.
3. Some users have suggested that sites like amazon.com have a 30-day return policy but i'm not sure what fees are associated with this.

I've posted this before and i'll post it again. The bottom line is that you cannot count on the return policy as a safety net...theres not really a way to completely protec t yourself

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.