Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
AE
My wife has iPad Pro 11” 64GB 2018 model with recent liquid damage done by drinking water.
Apple’s repair price is about 2/3 of the new device (they actually change all internals and that’s it), so I just bought a similar new iPad Pro for her.
And now I have a toy to play with :D So, damaged iPad has depth camera disabled, and its battery accepts charge only from MacBook‘s charger, ignoring own iPad’s and other low-powered chargers. Other than that, iPad is working and I am writing this post on it. Also, screen and shell are in perfect condition.

Therefore questions are following:
1. Is it worth trying to fix it in some 3rd party repair shop? Or that gonna be wasted time and money?
2. Are repair shops or any hobbyists buying them for parts?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You can seek for third party repair, given you have nothing to lose. But repair shops generally don’t take parts from iPhone iPad unless they are certain they can reuse it with proper tooling etc since many of those components are serialised and thus wont work on another device by just swapping them (literally another device, even if they are the same model).

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
My wife has iPad Pro 11” 64GB 2018 model with recent liquid damage done by drinking water.
Apple’s repair price is about 2/3 of the new device (they actually change all internals and that’s it), so I just bought a similar new iPad Pro for her.
And now I have a toy to play with :D So, damaged iPad has depth camera disabled, and its battery accepts charge only from MacBook‘s charger, ignoring own iPad’s and other low-powered chargers. Other than that, iPad is working and I am writing this post on it. Also, screen and shell are in perfect condition.

1. Is it worth trying to fix it in some 3rd party repair shop? Or that gonna be wasted time and money?
Personally it does not seem a big issue to me. I wouldn't try to have it repaired. If using your power delivery charger is an issue I would buy another one (you can find a 30w Macbook charger for very cheap). Personally I don't even use face-id on my iPad, but if having secure access is important for you, just use a simple password...

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

If the limitations don't bother you then there is no reason to try fix it.

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
AE
After some playing with this iPad I just sold it. I was surprised how the device, clearly stated as troubled, was so easy to sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.