Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
I've got an elderly relative that's irritated by a specific behaviour in Safari that she sees every time she launches Safari. My iPad is too old to run this version of iOS so I've never seen this "feature" or behaviour before. See the attached screenshot.

How is she triggering this behaviour of the multiple empty tabs/webpages appearing over the keyboard when she opens Safari? And can this be disabled, if possible?

IMG_0030.PNG

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
It could be that she is mistakenly tapping the multitasking three dots at the top of the screen instead of tapping the URL bar to change the URL. That behavior would invoke those multiple pages over the keyboard. Being that I have done this myself on several occasions, I went into settings > multitasking & gestures and turned the multitasking off. That solved the same problem for me.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
It could be that she is mistakenly tapping the multitasking three dots at the top of the screen instead of tapping the URL bar to change the URL. That behavior would invoke those multiple pages over the keyboard. Being that I have done this myself on several occasions, I went into settings > multitasking & gestures and turned the multitasking off. That solved the same problem for me.

OK, thank you. I didn't realize that multi-tasking could be disabled. She definitely doesn't need it because it confuses her so I'll get her to disable it. It's not easy trying to troubleshoot stuff like this for her when she lives across the country.

Reactions: Iwavvns

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
OK, thank you. I didn't realize that multi-tasking could be disabled. She definitely doesn't need it because it confuses her so I'll get her to disable it. It's not easy trying to troubleshoot stuff like this for her when she lives across the country.
You’re very welcome. Tell her to open the Settings app and go to multitasking & gestures in the left column. In that screen she will see two iconified windows at the top of the right side of the screen, the icon on the left has the word “Off” under it.. have her select that one to turn multitasking off. This should solve the current problem as well as reducing confusion if she tries to drag and drop files too close to the edges of the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.