Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ericbe59

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Cydia made me install cephei as an "update" even though I had not installed before. What exactly is it, why do we need it and why does cydia call it an update, when you don't even have it installed yet?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Cydia made me install cephei as an "update" even though I had not installed before. What exactly is it, why do we need it and why does cydia call it an update, when you don't even have it installed yet?
Because the dev updated a package that a lot of other developers tweaks call upon (APIs). If you don't want to see developer packages change the mode in which you view Cydia.

It's a safe package. Cydia wouldn't tell you to update it if it wasn't.

Syndicate0017

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2013
It's not in a repo of mine so I can't tell you exactly. But it's probably been added as a dependency for a package you've installed through a 3rd party repo. If you attempt to uninstall it (before confirming the uninstall) it will tell you what packages it will also remove. That will tell you where the dependency lies

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012

It's a dependency from the hashbang productions repo. Typestatus is an example of one of their tweaks that uses this package

It used to be named HASHBANG COMMONS if that rings a bell

Dessie P. Krok

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019

Cephei is a hidden package in Cydia. It is a framework for jailbroken iOS devices that includes various convenience features for developers. it focuses on settings-related features and you can take a look at a demo of the Preferences framework-specific features. So, It's a safe package to use.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Cephei is a hidden package in Cydia. It is a framework for jailbroken iOS devices that includes various convenience features for developers. it focuses on settings-related features and you can take a look at a demo of the Preferences framework-specific features. So, It's a safe package to use.
Uhhh…you guys resurrected a four and a half year old thread to re-answer an already answered question?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.