Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Here in the UK I was expecting them
To announce it at this years WWDC, much like Apple Pay, but alas there was nothing.

Does anyone know what is going on with it? A great feature that those who don’t have it, are all waiting for I’m sure.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Here in the UK I was expecting them
To announce it at this years WWDC, much like Apple Pay, but alas there was nothing.

Does anyone know what is going on with it? A great feature that those who don’t have it, are all waiting for I’m sure.

Apple keeps this information pretty close to the vest. I definitely sympathize with you, though. It’s a nice feature and probably even more useful in the UK than here in the States.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Why do you think that, out of interest?

Isn’t contactless payment more prevalent? Here, Apple (and Google) have made a lot of progress, but major retailers like Walmart and CVS are still holding out.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Sorry, nothing solid. Even in USA still hit/miss. Retailers not wanting to sign up: fees, new system, competition with the system they hope to implement, existing processors providing deals.

My bank has been promising Apple Pay for years, yet now they announced a program to push one to their debit card with promise of better interest rates after X number of transactions.

Maybe some EU/Brexit things slowing it down? Current and future exchange rates? (Note: have not actually used Apple Cash as noone I can use with and above re: my bank is not on the supported list).

Basically, think everyone wants their piece of the pie, so, not eager to undercut themselves.

Aside: isn't Barcleys somewhat tied into Apple Pay already?

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Isn’t contactless payment more prevalent? Here, Apple (and Google) have made a lot of progress, but major retailers like Walmart and CVS are still holding out.
Ah ok, yeah it’s quite prevelant here. To be honest I didn’t think that would make a huge difference for Apple Pay Cash (vs basic Apple Pay) given its main selling point appears to be peer to peer payments outside of the retail/contactless arena. You can use APC in shops, yeah, but in that respect it doesn’t seem like a new feature over AP- just another (virtual) card you can add to your wallet. I might have misunderstood though!

Edit: sorry, this may be stating the obvious but after reading a few posts back I want to make clear the UK has Apple Pay, just not Apple Pay Cash

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Ah ok, yeah it’s quite prevelant here. To be honest I didn’t think that would make a huge difference for Apple Pay Cash (vs basic Apple Pay) given its main selling point appears to be peer to peer payments outside of the retail/contactless arena. You can use APC in shops, yeah, but in that respect it doesn’t seem like a new feature over AP- just another (virtual) card you can add to your wallet. I might have misunderstood though!

Edit: sorry, this may be stating the obvious but after reading a few posts back I want to make clear the UK has Apple Pay, just not Apple Pay Cash

To your last point: ah, I misunderstood. I thought Apple Pay had not gotten to the U.K.

Frankly, I’ve been disappointed with Apple Pay Cash. It was late to the game, so many people are already using Venmo and don’t want to add yet another service. Plus, the virtual Discover Card it’s tied to gets rejected frequently as an “invalid mode of payment” or the like. My plan had been to use APC to replace small transactions that I would have used my debit card for, so that I could record one (larger) APC transaction in my check register rather than all the smaller ones from the debit card. Hasn’t worked out as well as I’d liked.

Reactions: jhall8 and GreyOS

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
To your last point: ah, I misunderstood. I thought Apple Pay had not gotten to the U.K.

Frankly, I’ve been disappointed with Apple Pay Cash. It was late to the game, so many people are already using Venmo and don’t want to add yet another service. Plus, the virtual Discover Card it’s tied to gets rejected frequently as an “invalid mode of payment” or the like. My plan had been to use APC to replace small transactions that I would have used my debit card for, so that I could record one (larger) APC transaction in my check register rather than all the smaller ones from the debit card. Hasn’t worked out as well as I’d liked.
Interesting to hear your experience. Venmo is another service not available here in the UK. I’ve just used PayPal.me to pay/collect from a few friends and family, though that’s more limited in functionality.

I don’t actually think Apple Pay Cash will be very useful for me at all. Virtually all my friends and family have Android!

Reactions: gwhizkids

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
I don't find Apple pay faster than swiping a card. I find it more complex sometimes to get AP working. Have to remember whether the shop accepts it. Align it well with the terminal. Apple pay cash is even less interesting, because I have to remember whether the person is on iOS, is American, has it set up - we need something that that works no matter where you are or what ecosystem you use.

Many East African countries are way ahread now with mobile money, which virtually everybody accepts nowadays turning mobile phones into bank accounts. This compared to the slow progress that Apple makes, it's still not even available in the Netherlands for example.

Payments should be simple, and shouldn't require a large if-else algorithm in my view. Got no time for that.

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
If you’re in the UK why aren’t you just using PayM?

Goes straight into your your bank account instantly and doesn’t require any specific phone or app as pretty much all UK banks support PayM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.