Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Propeller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Can some one fill me in, is this a new chip that's replacing the Intel already? I'm juggling between getting a powerbook or a dual core desktop. I'm using the box for motion graphics and editing. If anyone can fill me in on merom and if it's worth the wait then that would be great!

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Merom is intel's new chip for notebooks.

Core Duo = "Yonah"
Core 2 Duo = "Merom"

Technicalities aside, just imagine Merom as being the same as the chips in the MBPs today, just about 10%-15% faster.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Propeller said:
Can some one fill me in, is this a new chip that's replacing the Intel already? I'm juggling between getting a powerbook or a dual core desktop. I'm using the box for motion graphics and editing. If anyone can fill me in on merom and if it's worth the wait then that would be great!

Propeller - welcome - suggest you do a search - this topic has been beat to death in many many threads.

To help you - Merom is Intel's next mobile cpu - replacing the current Yonah. Lots of debate as to how much real improvement will be seen.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
viccles said:
That's not a statement with evidence you can make until merom is released into the notebooks

It slightly owns yonah...
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=288

But the difference isn't enough for those who have core duo systems to upgrade to core 2 duo unless you're rich or stupid. I'm waiting for core 2 duo because it's my first computer in almost 4 years. I want a MBP c2d system as opposed to a windows c2d system. Hopefully apple will give me what I desire sooner rather than later.

trapperjohn117

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
I need to get a macbook tomarrow for a trip so I cant wait but I was putting it off to get a c2d macbook when they come put because 1. faster, even if its only marginally so and 2. if I buy now Ill be stuck with a 32 bit processor instead of a 64 bit one when apples entire line is converted to be 64 bit

hmm I think this is the first time I didnt want to buy a new computer... It will be a welcome upgrade from an emac with 256 megs of memory though!

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
HecubusPro said:
It slightly owns yonah...
http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=288

But the difference isn't enough for those who have core duo systems to upgrade to core 2 duo unless you're rich or stupid. I'm waiting for core 2 duo because it's my first computer in almost 4 years. I want a MBP c2d system as opposed to a windows c2d system. Hopefully apple will give me what I desire sooner rather than later.

Hmm I would like to be the rich option :D

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
Revised statement:

Merom pws Yonah!

Notes:
merom is 64bit!
Merom has better TDP Even if it is only slightly
Merom is faster
Merom is cooler
Merom sounds cooler
Merom is not in Macbooks :( :(

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Jasonbot said:
Revised statement:

Merom pws Yonah!

Notes:
merom is 64bit!
Merom has better TDP Even if it is only slightly
Merom is faster
Merom is cooler
Merom sounds cooler
Merom is not in Macbooks :( :(

Slightly better performance, but with most apps and real world use you will not see a difference.

64 bit wont matter for at least 5 years at a minimum since most software companies still run their apps in 32 bit. And once 64 bit matters and you have to upgarde the Merom would probably be in no better position than a Yonah as far as power goes. See this post, its explained better https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/2829360/

merom is marginally faster, the average user probably wont notice.

merom actually produces more heat under load

Merom does sound cooler, i agree there :D

Merom wont be in MacBooks until Apple has a complete solution, think 2007 :)

Merom is Intel marketing hype, be a lemming or set your own trails i guess :)

Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.