Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Not asking about for charging just data transfer, the thunder bolt cables cost two time more then a USB-C cable.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
20 Gbps per line for Thunderbolt 3/4 vs 10 Gbps per line for USB 3.x (gen 2).

A USB cable can do 40 Gbps DisplayPort 2.0 but that's with all the lines going in the same direction.
A USB cable can do 20 Gbps using two 10 Gbps lines per direction for USB 3.2 gen 2x2 but I don't think Mac's have drivers to support the x2 modes? I haven't checked lately.

Thunderbolt uses two lines per direction (40 Gbps transmit and 40 Gbps receive).
Thunderbolt 3/4 can use a 10 Gbps per line mode (same as Thunderbolt 2) which is 20 Gbps for each direction.

Greybeard2017

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2020
Its only an advantage if what you have on both sides of the cable support Thunderbolt. Look at the specs of your iPad and look at the specs of the device you are connecting.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
No advantage for an iPad. As I have said elsewhere, from my tests with thunderbolt drives, they are barely faster than gen 2 ones on iPad, they don't even achieve gen 2 speeds (10Gbps) instead of the full Thunderbolt speed (around 22.5Gbps, not 40, since 40 is not for starage transfers). The only time you'll need a Thunderbolt cable is for a Thunderbolt only device (drive, dock etc.) but those devices always come with a Thunderbolt cable already, so no real point.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
No advantage for an iPad. As I have said elsewhere, from my tests with thunderbolt drives, they are barely faster than gen 2 ones on iPad, they don't even achieve gen 2 speeds (10Gbps) instead of the full Thunderbolt speed (around 22.5Gbps, not 40, since 40 is not for starage transfers). The only time you'll need a Thunderbolt cable is for a Thunderbolt only device (drive, dock etc.) but those devices always come with a Thunderbolt cable already, so no real point.
Thank you for the information.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
No difference if you’re comparing with a passive USB4 40Gbps. The TB cable simply identifies as TB through the eMarker chip but is electrically identical. The TB cable is certified by Intel.

Reactions: Homme

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
I wanted to continue in this thread but for some reason i got a notice i had been banned for forum violations the ban was for around a week then when the ban was to expire i again found i was again banned for the same reason for another week, then when it expired i was informed i was just banned with no length of time given.
I had been checking for many days until around an hour ago i could post in the the forum again.
This seems very strange has anyone else had this ever happen?
You might notice the last time i was on the forum before today March 9th was on Feb. 13th.

Last edited:

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Isn’t the USB-C cable which comes with the ipad USB 2.0 speed (480 Mbits)?

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Just like the old USB-3 has become obsolete with the USB-C it will be soon i feel with in five years, as computing moves ahead of the Classical computers used today and being replaced by Quantum computing, standard wire cables using electrons will be replaced by fiber optic cables caring light as the media to move data.

Quantum computing would already replaced Classical computers but for one snag: errors Classical computers have errors but they occur less often and are relatively easy to correct. In stark contrast quantum information is fragile and worse errors come in two forums : bit flip sand phase flips only bit flips occur in Classical computers and can be delt with by redundancy using many copies of each bit.

Quantum errors can also be solved by repeating the information across several physical qubits but if you need 30 physical physical qubits to deal with bit flip errors and 30 for phase flips errors you end up with nearly 1000 physical qubits to make just one error free logical qubit.

When these items are over come we will have quantum computers replacing the Classical computers we all use today and wire USB cables will be replaced by light transmitting optic cables.

( Information here was taken from the December 2023 Laser Focus World article by Nathanael Cottet he is a senior experimental physicial at Alice & Bob Paris France.)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Just like the old USB-3 has become obsolete with the USB-C it will be soon i feel with in five years, as computing moves ahead of the Classical computers used today and being replaced by Quantum computing, standard wire cables using electrons will be replaced by fiber optic cables caring light as the media to move data.

Quantum computing would already replaced Classical computers but for one snag: errors Classical computers have errors but they occur less often and are relatively easy to correct. In stark contrast quantum information is fragile and worse errors come in two forums : bit flip sand phase flips only bit flips occur in Classical computers and can be delt with by redundancy using many copies of each bit.

Quantum errors can also be solved by repeating the information across several physical qubits but if you need 30 physical physical qubits to deal with bit flip errors and 30 for phase flips errors you end up with nearly 1000 physical qubits to make just one error free logical qubit.

When these items are over come we will have quantum computers replacing the Classical computers we all use today and wire USB cables will be replaced by light transmitting optic cables.

( Information here was taken from the December 2023 Laser Focus World article by Nathanael Cottet he is a senior experimental physicial at Alice & Bob Paris France.)
FYI USB-C is just a plug shape so it did not obsolete USB-3.0.

Reactions: snipr125

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
FYI USB-C is just a plug shape so it did not obsolete USB-3.0.
Maybe a better wording would have been the USB-C connecting male and female interfacing, replaced a design that had failed in many removing and replacing cycles and also made a better meaning a firmer connection.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
When i started using my new MSI Computer cabling became a challenge.
Img_2921.jpg

Reactions: 2Xtreme21

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Looks like u need a usb hub and NAS
A four port hub is hidden on the left that small silver thing on right is a also a four port hub the USB Dongle is on it's end freeing up the only USB-3 port and allowing me to use the USB-C for the small USB 3 port hub, i had to do a lot of shopping on amazon to get what was needed.
The black coil covers on all cables is to cat proofing them, have a cat that will chew any cord to death.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.