Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lorax1284

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2019
I work at an office job 5 days a week, and exercise by walking / hiking and lifting weights occasionally.

but I also work 1 day a week sometimes 2, at a grocery store in the produce department stocking the tables and displays (for the exercise and extra spending money... and I like the people, the customers, and the employee discount too :) ).

Sometimes I'm standing in place for 10 minutes, but moving around picking up items off the cart to stock the items. Then back to the storeroom to unload the empty crates and pick up some more and wheel them out to stock the next item. I have one or maybe 2 15 minute breaks in a 5 hour shift.

What's the best way to log this as an activity? I'm constantly moving except from my breaks, and I'm bending and lifting, twisting, pretty much using all my muscles (when you have to unload an entire palette of produce to get at the avocados at the very bottom, it's no desk job, let me tell you).

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
I work at an office job 5 days a week, and exercise by walking / hiking and lifting weights occasionally.

but I also work 1 day a week sometimes 2, at a grocery store in the produce department stocking the tables and displays (for the exercise and extra spending money... and I like the people, the customers, and the employee discount too :) ).

Sometimes I'm standing in place for 10 minutes, but moving around picking up items off the cart to stock the items. Then back to the storeroom to unload the empty crates and pick up some more and wheel them out to stock the next item. I have one or maybe 2 15 minute breaks in a 5 hour shift.

What's the best way to log this as an activity? I'm constantly moving except from my breaks, and I'm bending and lifting, twisting, pretty much using all my muscles (when you have to unload an entire palette of produce to get at the avocados at the very bottom, it's no desk job, let me tell you).

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Perhaps "Functional Training"? It's in the "Other" category. I use it for my Silver Sneakers Classes, which are a combination of cardio, weights, bands, and relaxation. Nothing in a single category, but all contribute to overall fitness.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
Also, I would think that if you're exerting yourself enough to be truthfully called "exercise", it would automagically show up on your exercise ring. I know mine does, say, when I'm mowing the lawn, I get several minutes of exercise. The activity has to elevate your heart to the somewhat "unclear" definition of a "brisk walk" for at least 10 minutes I believe, and then it will count. No need to start an exercise, unless the purpose is to simply close the ring.

Reactions: Itinj24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.