Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, I want to make some instructional videos by recording the screen of my iPad Pro. I think iOS has a built-in app but it does not record my voice. Also, I cannot annotate the screen (e.g. highlighting certain parts for a few seconds with a color pen) at the same time. What is the best app that can do all these at the same time in real-time?

Last edited:

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
Screen record does allow you to record your voice using the built in mic (perhaps even an external mic attached to lightning).

Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Screen record does allow you to record your voice using the built in mic (perhaps even an external mic attached to lightning).

I found that I did not turn on the mic. I thought it were on by default. Can we use Apple Pencil to do annotation? I mean not using the Pencil interact with other apps but just to circle or draw an arrow on the screen while taking the video.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I found that I did not turn on the mic. I thought it were on by default. Can we use Apple Pencil to do annotation? I mean not using the Pencil interact with other apps but just to circle or draw an arrow on the screen while taking the video.
To annotate a video you need to edit it in something like (free) imovie or its big cousin Final Cut Pro.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Hi, I want to make some instructional videos by recording the screen of my iPad Pro. I think iOS has a built-in app but it does not record my voice. Also, I cannot annotate the screen (e.g. highlighting certain parts for a few seconds with a color pen) at the same time. What is the best app that can do all these at the same time in real-time?

The iOS screen recording function has this habit of disabling the microphone from time to time, so you must make sure it’s enabled before doing your recording (had a few occasions where I had completed my screencast, only to realise there was no sound).

As for writing on the screen, I don’t know any way for it. Probably not in iOS, as this would entail allowing an app to modify another app.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
you can doodle on/in your videos after recording using e.g.
Scribble Video. Or you create your scribbles/doodles in the app of your choice and edit the screen recording(s) and these doodle videos together in iMovie using its green screen function.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
So for iPad, it is a two-stage process?
Yes. Record first. Then edit to add pictures, arrows, works, etc in a video editor. iMovie is a free Apple video editor and should do what you want. Bit of a learning curve but there are plenty of videos/tutorials out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.