Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Last time I bought a mac was in 2012, my Macbook Air. What is the best color for the new 15" Air? I'm looking for the color that doesn't show fingerprints the best, like the iPhone 15's Natural Titanium.

Also, why do macs still use only 8gb RAM? My 2012 Macbook air also has 8gb RAM. Sorry not a computer guy.

Reactions: Scarrus

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Last time I bought a mac was in 2012, my Macbook Air. What is the best color for the new 15" Air? I'm looking for the color that doesn't show fingerprints the best, like the iPhone 15's Natural Titanium.

Also, why do macs still use only 8gb RAM? My 2012 Macbook air also has 8gb RAM. Sorry not a computer guy.
The contrast between the keyboard and the surrounding (background) metal is subdued but great on the Space Grey color, more pronounced on the Starlight and Silver models, but still good. It is not so good on the Midnight. Best to look at the models in a store before you purchase. Everything about this subject depends so much on personal taste, it is hard to judge from another persons opinion. That said, I like my Space Grey 13" M2 MBA!
If you can afford it, get the 16GB or 24GB RAM, the 8GB model will work fine for most tasks, but more RAM is always good. The SSD is OK at 256GB, but again if you can, go for the 512GB.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Not much has changed there. The darker you go, the more visible will finger prints, signs of wear and scratches be. So if this bothers you then Silver or Starlight will be a safe bet. I've personally stuck to Silver as I've only seen minimal visible scratches after 13 yrs ownership of a well traveled MBP. Off course that's an exception and most won't hang on to their devices for a decade+.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Not much has changed there. The darker you go, the more visible will finger prints, signs of wear and scratches be. So if this bothers you then Silver or Starlight will be a safe bet. I've personally stuck to Silver as I've only seen minimal visible scratches after 13 yrs ownership of a well traveled MBP. Off course that's an exception and most won't hang on to their devices for a decade+.

This is exactly what I wanted to know. I also prefer to hang on to my devices for as long as I can. Truth be told, I'm not in dire need a new computer, processing-wise. The 2012 Air works perfectly except my power cable is fraying in 2 spots and I can't run Turbo Tax anymore because Catalina is as far as this OS goes.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Sounds like Starlight is the closest match to what you are looking for.

Midnight is my favourite, but it is a fingerprint magnet which in your case sounds its a deal breaker!

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
This is exactly what I wanted to know. I also prefer to hang on to my devices for as long as I can. Truth be told, I'm not in dire need a new computer, processing-wise. The 2012 Air works perfectly except my power cable is fraying in 2 spots and I can't run Turbo Tax anymore because Catalina is as far as this OS goes.
I was, until recently, running a patched 2009 MBP. There was nothing really original on it anymore except for the KB. One of the first things I did however is buy/ fit an all encompassing clear skin on it to protect mainly the base (due to its little feet), the sides and the top. I did end up removing the inner and trackpad skin to get the right tactile feel again. I think the skin lasted 8 yrs or so and the company would have replaced it free of charge had I found the invoice.

The only thing to mention with Silver and Starlight is the stark contrast with the KB, that you need to see if you don't mind it. I think the Spacegrey is a better match for that. It was never an issue with the spaced out keys of the old MBP but may bother some to have such a solid "blob" of keys. Personally I don't care and my focus was on outer scratches and scuffs over time. Oh, also, I wanted to like the Spacegrey but in the 16" it was just too much dark for me. Would funnily have been ok with the 14" . Comes down to personal taste and preference and my opinion is solely based on my experience and likes. 6 months in and I'm still very happy about going with Silver.

GoatmealJones

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Switched to silver for my 15" MBA M2 after having a space gray mbp 15" 2016. I like how there is more contrast between the body and the keyboard.

dturner123

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
After having space gray MacBook Pros for many years, I decided to get a Starlight MacBook Air. Love the color!

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
I bought both the Space Gray and Silver last week and after 1 day with Silver, it reflected too much and was too bright for me. Back it went....Space Gray it is!

Reactions: AppleComputer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.