Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
Best as in bang for your buck would be a PC that you build yourself. Users over at r/buildapcforme can help you choose the best parts at a price point that you choose. If you're not comfortable building your own you'll have to get a prebuilt PC somewhere. What resolution and fps are you looking to run most games at?

vincealmighty

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2020
Riverside, CA
Alienware from Dell(Laptop). They are designed for the ultimate gaming experience and you can customize them as per your needs. Or you can assemble one yourself if you are looking for a desktop PC. Just google "Best Gaming Setup" something like that and there will be plenty of suggestions and reviews on the internet.

benshive

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2017
United States
Alienware from Dell(Laptop). They are designed for the ultimate gaming experience and you can customize them as per your needs. Or you can assemble one yourself if you are looking for a desktop PC. Just google "Best Gaming Setup" something like that and there will be plenty of suggestions and reviews on the internet.
Alienware makes good laptops but they tend to be pretty pricey. It'd depend on OP's budget.

Reactions: vincealmighty

jessica90rose

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2020
canton ohio usa
Best as in bang for your buck would be a PC that you build yourself. Users over at r/buildapcforme can help you choose the best parts at a price point that you choose. If you're not comfortable building your own you'll have to get a prebuilt PC somewhere. What resolution and fps are you looking to run most games at?

thanks for help this is helpful link

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For desktops build your own, for laptops, Razer (mostly because I'm biased) :)

Reactions: Tucom

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
What is the best computer for gaming?

NEW ENTRY. A PS5. Launching this year. £399-499.

Any PC from £800-£1000+ tower and then buy the monitor. Build your own. Or from Vendors to build 'your own' for you.

NEW entry. Any Tier 1-3 iMac using the RDNA1 gpu tech'. All of a sudden, the 27 inch is a decent gaming option. And the BTO 5700/XT gives you the option and a great 5k display making mincemeat at of any game in HD or QHD, 'some' 4k gaming and with tweaking 'some' 5k gaming. From £1700+. (Tier 1. Includes 5k display...)

Azrael.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
NEW ENTRY. A PS5. Launching this year. £399-499.
There's pros and cons a console (And a pc tbh). While I own a PS4, and its been great, I definitely prefer the PC, as you get a larger array of games available. Plus you typically have more options within the game, its funny but in the fallout 4 and game, there's no quick save button, but on the PC, a quick hit of F5 and your golden ;)

I also prefer playing at my desk as the monitor is so much closer to my rather poor eyes, as opposed to the couch and TV

Reactions: Irishman

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
I think there is probably a causal link between playing close to a monitor and poor eyes. My pc owning friend has done a lot of PC gaming over the years. His eyes are knackered.

I can't say it's done my eyes any favours either.

As for the PS5. It's going to be landmark performance for £399. (A PC is going to cost to match that...). And a TV is much huge-er.

Most PCs won't match that price performance ratio. Never did like the idea of playing with a keyboard and mouse compared to a joystick.

Save buttons? *Shrugs. I preferred things in the C64 days. No save buttons.

Azrael.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
There's pros and cons a console (And a pc tbh). While I own a PS4, and its been great, I definitely prefer the PC, as you get a larger array of games available. Plus you typically have more options within the game, its funny but in the fallout 4 and game, there's no quick save button, but on the PC, a quick hit of F5 and your golden ;)

I also prefer playing at my desk as the monitor is so much closer to my rather poor eyes, as opposed to the couch and TV

The games would be by far the weakest link and argument when it comes to PC compared to PS5, or any PlayStation for that matter. Unless there's a platform agnostic title that runs on PC vs. what you'd be eyeing on console, then yes.

I'm on PC myself, rest I agree with. The quick save feature is God-save!

But again, Sony gets gaming, and single player games. I guess it's what OP wants to play the most. If she's FPS oriented, then PC all day. IMO, I'll always argue that nothing - NOTHING beats mouse and keyboard, but that boils down to me crushing people back in Quake III Arena - and that doesn't go away hahaha.

And 60FPS is nice no matter what.

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
The games would be by far the weakest link and argument when it comes to PC compared to PS5, or any PlayStation for that matter. Unless there's a platform agnostic title that runs on PC vs. what you'd be eyeing on console, then yes.

I'm on PC myself, rest I agree with. The quick save feature is God-save!

But again, Sony gets gaming, and single player games. I guess it's what OP wants to play the most. If she's FPS oriented, then PC all day. IMO, I'll always argue that nothing - NOTHING beats mouse and keyboard, but that boils down to me crushing people back in Quake III Arena - and that doesn't go away hahaha.

And 60FPS is nice no matter what.

Sony have done a decent job with the gaming stuff and the PS.

Keyboard and mouse. I use it. But I always thought it was crap for games. A millions keys and waving a bar of soap around.

Azrael.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Keyboard and mouse. I use it. But I always thought it was crap for games. A millions keys and waving a bar of soap around.
I thought the same thing, and I certainly see your point, but a controller has only a handful of buttons, where as a keyboard and mouse offer more options. Still in many respects a controller can be superior, I guess that's why many "pro gamers" use controllers on their gaming rigs.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Sony have done a decent job with the gaming stuff and the PS.

Azrael.

That's if you don't know how to acclimate to a simple keyboard layout. It's far superior to anything else for FPS's, but that doesn't sound like your competitive genre.

Sony's far better than anything else out there for main-stay studio game development aside from the established quality multiplatform houses btw. By a mile. It's a blessing their titles are on PC now.

The bar of soap btw is better than twiddly sticks. I'll take a nice, ergonomically housed sensor over a plastic nubbin any day of the week.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
I thought the same thing, and I certainly see your point, but a controller has only a handful of buttons, where as a keyboard and mouse offer more options. Still in many respects a controller can be superior, I guess that's why many "pro gamers" use controllers on their gaming rigs.

They don't, actually. The ONLY FPS on the planet to use a controller for whatever reason is Call of Duty - and pro's are complaining left and right - especially after Black Ops 4 showed the world what CoD can do from a pro players perspective themselves via the blackout tournaments, which WERE HELD on PC - about CoD still being played with a damn controller.

If you're ever in the OpTic CoD scene, you would hear Karma (Damon Barlow, "pro" player; I love esports but it does get kinda silly vs. pro-athletes in Bball or Baseball like I used to play (not pro... lmao)) - constantly say "Why doesn't CoD just go to PC w/ mouse and KB, it's stilly" -

CSGO, Overwatch. Nothing they do on screen would be possible with a controller.

They're great for platforms and racing games wouldn't even be possibly by comparison with a mouse and keyboard, however. They're great all-rounders, for sure. And that's it.

Just have to say - this comes from a competitive perspective; I'm extremely competitive and that's where this argument and divide comes from - I can't STAND being held back by a controller, drives me up the wall and the controller in the floor. But if you're more chill and just wanna kick back, then sure, a controller works just fine. It is, however, indisputable which one is superior for FPS play. Not "hating" on consoles though, I love the PS2 more than most gaming setups and can't wait for next-gen. It will be, like dude said immeasurable performance for the dollar, monumental.

Reactions: Irishman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.