Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LogicalRon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Midwest
IS there a good notes app that doesn't me to be required to use icloud? I have icloud turned on and don't plan to use it. I know there are many good notes apps but I'd like input on all so feel free to post about many of them

I'm new here and learning the iPad Pro and appreciate any and all help

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Search YouTube for a content creator called paperless student. She has some good videos on various note taking apps.

I like Notability but that's just me.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

nickwgbr

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2019
Personally, I use OneNote, it's cross-platform so I can see my notes on my windows laptop, PC, phone etc. It's also got some quite cool integration with browsers like Chrome (OneNote clipper) so if I come across an interesting website, I can send the link or even a screenshot straight to OneNote. It seems to link into everything so can fire content to OneNote and organise it later.

Downsides are I don't think the note taking experience is quite as polished as goodnotes/notability etc. On my mini, OneNote is ever so slightly laggy with the pencil, but it probably won't be on the Pro.

Depends what your whole ecosystem is I guess.

Re storage - don't have to use icloud, I think most apps allow you to use dropbox/onedrive/google/whatever.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
I've been using GoodNotes for the last 3.5 years. Ability to search through your handwriting is fantastic!
Tried OneNote, but it doesn't convert handwriting into text like it does on Windows. Also used Neebo and Notability, but GoodNotes won me over

Reactions: sracer

mar58

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2017
After spending weeks comparing and struggling over a notes app myself, I finally settled on one, not often mentioned but that has a very good rating, called "Notebooks" and am quite pleased with it. I also purchased the additional PDF app that is available for an additional 3 bucks. So ten dollars ($9.99) for both. I also use OneNote when I need the cross platform ability it provides. Good luck, they all have their pros and cons so it tends to be a compromise no matter which one you select.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
IS there a good notes app that doesn't me to be required to use icloud? I have icloud turned on and don't plan to use it. I know there are many good notes apps but I'd like input on all so feel free to post about many of them

I'm new here and learning the iPad Pro and appreciate any and all help
GoodNotes is really... well... good. :p

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
I've been using Notability on my 12.9" Gen 1 Pro for the last couple of years for school. I really like that I can change the color of the text on the fly to match the critical information my professors are writing on the boards.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Notes for basic or medium note taking with good iCloud syncing although you can disable this. Notability if you want something much more powerful with audio record/sync and greater range of formatting and other tools.

LogicalRon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Midwest
Personally, I use OneNote, it's cross-platform so I can see my notes on my windows laptop, PC, phone etc. It's also got some quite cool integration with browsers like Chrome (OneNote clipper) so if I come across an interesting website, I can send the link or even a screenshot straight to OneNote. It seems to link into everything so can fire content to OneNote and organise it later.

Downsides are I don't think the note taking experience is quite as polished as goodnotes/notability etc. On my mini, OneNote is ever so slightly laggy with the pencil, but it probably won't be on the Pro.

Depends what your whole ecosystem is I guess.

Re storage - don't have to use icloud, I think most apps allow you to use dropbox/onedrive/google/whatever.

Thanks for your reply, I did look at OneNote but I should have been more clear I don't want to use any notes app that has to be stored anywhere except on my device.
[doublepost=1561641884][/doublepost]
Notes for basic or medium note taking with good iCloud syncing although you can disable this. Notability if you want something much more powerful with audio record/sync and greater range of formatting and other tools.
I did look at Notability but couldn't see if I could disable the syncing part ie.the cloud, I just want to use something that keeps my notes on my iPad Pro
[doublepost=1561642121][/doublepost]
After spending weeks comparing and struggling over a notes app myself, I finally settled on one, not often mentioned but that has a very good rating, called "Notebooks" and am quite pleased with it. I also purchased the additional PDF app that is available for an additional 3 bucks. So ten dollars ($9.99) for both. I also use OneNote when I need the cross platform ability it provides. Good luck, they all have their pros and cons so it tends to be a compromise no matter which one you select.

Thanks for your reply I just checked it out and it says it uses the cloud to sync across platforms and I didn't see where I could disable it. Not using the cloud is a must for me I need a app that is only on my device

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I use Apple notes for work as I like the iCloud sync (can be disabled in iCloud settings if not wanted) and the endless roll of paper you write on.
For journaling, band related notes and other stuff I use GoodNotes for a while now and really like it too.

LogicalRon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Midwest
I use Apple notes for work as I like the iCloud sync (can be disabled in iCloud settings if not wanted) and the endless roll of paper you write on.
For journaling, band related notes and other stuff I use GoodNotes for a while now and really like it too.

thanks for your reply, I did end up buying notability and I can disable the cloud feature so I thank everyone for the suggestions.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Thanks for your reply I just checked it out and it says it uses the cloud to sync across platforms and I didn't see where I could disable it. Not using the cloud is a must for me I need a app that is only on my device

You can disable iCloud for any app under settings. Notability also has its own settings to disable iCloud sync and other cloud options.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I use notability and Nebo’s MyScript. MySript uses digital ink and its writing to text is fantastic but it does lack the bells and whistles of Notability. If it just could import, export, and had several paper types it would get my vote hands down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.