Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
I've got my 1st and 2nd generation iPad that I'm looking to sell. They're in pretty good condition and work great. So where can I get the most money for them?

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
FWIW ... Swappa seems to have really good prices but never used it before.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I had a fantastic experience with Swappa when I sold my 9.7” iPad Pro. It sold within hours of me putting it on the market, and every transaction is monitored by an actual human being so fraud seems like it would be a lot less common.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've got my 1st and 2nd generation iPad that I'm looking to sell. They're in pretty good condition and work great. So where can I get the most money for them?

I always say ‘Best’ is subjective, Being someone else’s experience selling somewhere else may not be your own. However, As another alternative suggestion, [being that you meet the forum requirements], you could also sell your iPad on the marketplace on Macrumors. However, you may not achieve the most money, but there are some very legitimate forum members who may be interested that would make it a seamless transaction if that something worth noting to you.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
I always say ‘Best’ is subjective, Being someone else’s experience selling somewhere else may not be your own. However, As another alternative suggestion, [being that you meet the forum requirements], you could also sell your iPad on the marketplace on Macrumors. However, you may not achieve the most money, but there are some very legitimate forum members who may be interested that would make it a seamless transaction if that something worth noting to you.

Hadn’t thought of that. Swappa may be my 1st choice for the iPads but I may look to the forums for my mid-2010 MBP (which I don’t think I can sell on Swappa).

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I’ve had great luck with OfferUp - a modern day Craigslist that is an iPhone only app I believe

jasonhedgepeth

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I've had pretty good luck with Gazelle.com. You answer a few questions about the condition the item is in and they offer you a quote with free shipping. Typically you get paid within a few days after the item is received and inspected. I've sold four iPhones and three iPads without any issues and was happy with all the transactions.

dukeblue219

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012

Folks have given you the obvious answers, and I'd recommend them usually, but your iPads are so old that they're essentially worthless, unfortunately. Personally, I find it hard to believe they still "work great" and the iOS must be ancient at this point on the first gen iPad. That said, if they still work well, they probably only have value to you or as a donation.

Gazelle won't even take your first-gen iPad, and last time I tried to sell one on eBay about 2 years ago, it did not sell starting at $30 with free shipping. Gazelle will give you $20 for the second gen iPad if it's a 16GB wi-fi model. For a fully-loaded 64GB 3G model in perfect condition, $40. Better than nothing, of course. Swappa will let you sell them for whatever you want, but just don't be surprised to find the market for those devices is pretty bare at this point.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I've had pretty good luck with Gazelle.com. You answer a few questions about the condition the item is in and they offer you a quote with free shipping. Typically you get paid within a few days after the item is received and inspected. I've sold four iPhones and three iPads without any issues and was happy with all the transactions.
I’ve had a good experience with Gazelle as well, but there are trade offs. With Gazelle, you’re going to get what they’re going to give you. They’re basically like a GameStop for gadgets. So they’re only going to pay you an amount that makes sense for them to make money on reselling the device. With Swappa, YOU set a price that you think is fair for the existing market place. You can haggle with buyers if your want, but ultimately it’s up to you what to charge. It’s kind of like eBay but with a lot less people trying to rip you off.

The one thing I noticed with Swappa was that once I sold my iPad Pro 9.7”, the buyer turned around and was trying to sell it again at a higher price than he paid. He was basically trying to flip it. I wasn’t stalking the buyer or anything—I just happened to be on Swappa one day and was browsing around looking at iPads to see what their depreciation was like lately, and lo and behold, there was my same iPad—he even used the same pictures I used to sell it somehow. So don’t let people like that try to drive the price down on you. Stick to the price you want to get for it, and someone will buy it.

Reactions: MacManiac76

jasonhedgepeth

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Gazelle has always been successful for me.
Me too. They've always offered me a fair price when I didn't feel like bothering with eBay or Craigslist. The only time they low-balled me on a price was when they used to buy gaming consoles. They offered me $20 for my Xbox 360 and when I rejected the offer, they shipped my console back - postage paid. Very fair company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.