Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is the best style band for quickly removing/putting AW back on?

• Milanese loop

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Steel link

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

djdsas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
I work as an MRI tech which would expose the AW to very strong magnetic fields which requires me to
remove before going into the scan room.

I currently have the SS watch with sport band which is not easy to quickly remove and put back on

briefly during the day (up to 16 times a day). As the post says, I am looking for opinions on which band

is the easiest to quickly remove and put back on.

Please vote and leave comments !

Thanks for the feedback.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I work as an MRI tech which would expose the AW to very strong magnetic fields which requires me to

I currently have the SS watch with sport band which is not easy to quickly remove and put back on

briefly during the day (up to 16 times a day). As the post says, I am looking for opinions on which band

Thanks for the feedback.
Leather loop, I don't like metal watch bands. For one any magnetic band sticks to my Surface Book, the leather loop doesn't scratch it and I like the look better than the Milanese.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Thanks for the feedback.

The leather loop, as others have previously stated is relatively quick with the magnets being the biggest contributor to adjusting the preferred size.

Otherwise, I really like my Stainless link bracelets. It's already pre-adjusted to my wrist size with the links removed and once you put it back on your wrist, it clicks into place and that's it. I would have to say the stainless link is the easiest for me for periods of being on and off the wrist, being the quickest.

Last edited:

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Leather Loop. The Milanese is quick but if you've got large hands it can be fiddly putting your hand through the loop. The leather loop is not already a closed loop and sort of wraps around. Sadly, Apple have reduced the number of colours it comes in to two, at least on the UK store.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
All the Apple Watch bands are considered to be relatively quick to interchange in and out. Being that they all have the same connector. But as far as your question goes , I would say the sport bands are the easiest being they are flexible and light weight. But again, I feel all the Apple Watch bands that I own are in the same realm of each other for interchangeability.
The OP is asking for the strap which is easiest to get the watch on and off your wrist, not which strap is the easiest swap over on your watch. :)
Leather loop, I don't like metal watch bands. For one any magnetic band sticks to my Surface Book, the leather loop doesn't scratch it and I like the look better than the Milanese.

Leather Loop. The Milanese is quick but if you've got large hands it can be fiddly putting your hand through the loop. The leather loop is not already a closed loop and sort of wraps around. Sadly, Apple have reduced the number of colours it comes in to two, at least on the UK store.

I also vote for the leather loop. Only take a second to put and adjustment is infinite.
My vote also goes for the leather loop.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The OP is asking for the strap which is easiest to get the watch on and off your wrist, not which strap is the easiest swap over on your watch. :)

My mistake. Misunderstood the question. I will edit my response to the OP. Thanks.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Sport Band, put your finger in the tucked part of the band and pull it off easy
Link Bracelet isn't easy because you have to do the closure and slide it off
Modern Buckle would also be easy, but I assume you're going 42
Classic Buckle and Woven Nylon would stay away from
Milanese Loop if you want to take it off the proper way (not yanking the band because that will make the end fall off) wouldn't be as fast as you think
As for the Leather Loop, no idea, although I'm sure it's not bad

(I own the Link Bracelet, Classic Buckle, Miilanese Loop, and Sport Band)

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
The Sport band can be done one-handed (well, yeah, they all can) but it also doesn't need to be braced against my chest to avoid dropping the watch.

My votes:
+ Milanese loop
+ Sport band
+ Link bracelet (most of my regular watches are on bracelets, too)
+ Any other bracelet with a regular flip-open clasp
+ Any leather or synthetic strap with a deployant/deployment clasp

and not:
- Classic leather buckle
- Leather loop
- Modern buckle

The reason I don't like either of these three as much, taking into consideration how you'd have to frequently take them on and off, is because they disconnect and are relatively fiddly to put back on. The Sport band disconnects, yes, but it can be easily handled without letting go of the end of the strap, so it's pretty safe to use.

Reactions: pedrowerner

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
When I tried my friend's, I wasn't able to figure out how to quickly feed the leather loop through its slot when putting it on. Maybe I should experiment with one again.

yeah it takes a little getting used to, and also you have to make sure you have it clicked to the right side of the watch that works best for you. But once you get it, its really quick.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
yeah it takes a little getting used to, and also you have to make sure you have it clicked to the right side of the watch that works best for you. But once you get it, its really quick.
When you put it on, do you need to hold it against your body to make sure the watch doesn't slide off your wrist? This is what I don't like (but will tolerate) about the traditional straps on my G-Shock and vintage mechanical watch.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
When you put it on, do you need to hold it against your body to make sure the watch doesn't slide off your wrist? This is what I don't like (but will tolerate) about the traditional straps on my G-Shock and vintage mechanical watch.

Never pull the end out of the loop. I can hold onto the end and slip my hand through the loop and tighten as required. It takes seconds if you have been using it a while. I do always hold my watch either over the bed or the dresser when putting on or removing as if you do it daily . . . . gravity can be cruel.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Never pull the end out of the loop. I can hold onto the end and slip my hand through the loop and tighten as required. It takes seconds if you have been using it a while. I do always hold my watch either over the bed or the dresser when putting on or removing as if you do it daily . . . . gravity can be cruel.

The OP is working as an MRI tech, though, and is talking about taking the watch on and off over a dozen times per day (or per work shift).

FWIW, when I've been to an MRI lab, nobody was wearing watches, probably because they'd get tired of taking them on and off all the time.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008

Thanks for the feedback.

Well I have personally found the sports band to be the easiest to take on/off so we clearly differ there. But next in line would be the leather loop.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The OP is working as an MRI tech, though, and is talking about taking the watch on and off over a dozen times per day (or per work shift).

FWIW, when I've been to an MRI lab, nobody was wearing watches, probably because they'd get tired of taking them on and off all the time.

o_O
and I am telling him how quickly you can get in and out of the leather loop without taking the long end out of the slot. You simply grab the tail end sticking through the slot and slip you hand inside of the loop and tighten. You are never letting the long end of the loop go back out the slot.

I have friends who work in the MRI department and am all to familiar with the hazards involved. I think if it were me I would pass on any daily watch as sooner or later you are going to forget to remove the watch and have an "event". That is likely why most techs in the MRI labs pass on wearing a watch.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I have a Nike sports band and a bo-bo Milanese loop band. I find the Nike band a million times easier than the Milanese band. The Nike band (and I assume the regular sports band) is easily done one handed without the need to press against my body. Note that I am right handed and wear my watch on my left wrist, so I am using my more dexterous hand to manipulate the strap.

On my Milanese loop, I find that the magnet keeps sticking to the strap in the wrong place while I'm trying to get it on my wrist. It's very fussy that way. Maybe an official Apple one works differently, but I'm not sure. I would think the Leather Loop would be just as fussy as the magnet is set up the same way.

Maybe a leather buckle would be pretty easy too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.